Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Constant Crackling/Popping Sound on Ubuntu 13.10

Beans

Constant Crackling/Popping Sound on Ubuntu 13.10 & 14.04

Hello, I just installed 13.10 and got a problem with crackling/popping sound coming out of my Asus laptop speakers.
    It's like little crackling sound which appears every ~5-15 seconds even if I am not listening to audio. It's like the sound when you would listen to very old record, but this happens all the time even if I don't listen to anything. Even if I just booted ubuntu, didn't even press anything, it's still here. But when I listen to audio, it happens more frequently.

EDIT (2014 Aug 14), some important things:

1. Noise is coming only from one of the two speakers.
    2. Noise was in Ubuntu 13.10 and is currently on 14.04.
    3. I think it have nothing to do with applications running because it appears even before login screen of Ubuntu. Also same noise is, if I boot from Live USB.
    2. Muting sound will remove noise, but lowing volume has no effect.
    3. Inserting headphones, removes the noise.
    4. If I disconnect power cable while there is noise, noise will always disappear, but only if there is no music playing. If I start playing music, noise again appears even with power cable disconnected.
    5. Sometimes that noise disappears for 1-4 weeks, and then again appears for no reason and lasts from several days to weeks.

Now I tried some solutions, like:

1. echo 0 | sudo tee /sys/module/snd_hda_intel/parameters/power_save
    2. Intel Audio Powersave Fix: http://www.foxswap.com/computers-and...from-speakers/
    3. Adding tsched=0 to /etc/pulse/default.pa

But nothing seem work, and as you can imagine it is very annoying.
    Last edited by childintime; February 8th, 2015 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Normalize font

Beans

Re: Constant Crackling/Popping Sound on Ubuntu 13.10

I also noticed, that if I am watching video long enough, it seems to kind of disappear, but as soon as I start typing something it reappears again.

Beans

And there is constant little noise when sound is not muted. Any solutions how to fix this noise coming from speakers?

Beans

There are two things I would try to fix this:

1. Try and find an updated audio driver for your flavor of Linux.
    2. Try a Live CD of Linux or a dual-booted Windows OS. If the sound happens in either of those I would guess it's a hardware issue. If it does not happen then I would *really* suspect the drivers for the flavor Linux you are using.

Try those and get back to us.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by phoyce2 View Post
    There are two things I would try to fix this:

1. Try and find an updated audio driver for your flavor of Linux.
    2. Try a Live CD of Linux or a dual-booted Windows OS. If the sound happens in either of those I would guess it's a hardware issue. If it does not happen then I would *really* suspect the drivers for the flavor Linux you are using.

Try those and get back to us.
    I tried removing both pulse audio and alsa and cracking sound still remains. It never stops, it elevant if I listen to audio or not. That sound is also in live ubuntu usb, but not on the Windows 8 so I would think it's unbuntu problem.

The only way to remove it, is to mute audio.

Beans

Bump ...

Beans

I use to get a crackling sound every time my neighbor ( common wall ) used his
    cell phone.
    Also, I get a intermittent popping noise through my speakers. It lasts for 2 or 3 seconds
    then stops for 2 or 3 seconds, but it is not loud, almost unnoticeable. I could fix it, but
    I would have to move my speakers to far away from my modem & wifi router.

Beans

Interesting that you say that.. But I just tested it with someone calling me and noise didn't show up, so not sure if it's related.

Beans

Okay, the damn crackling was driving me nuts and I searched forever. I found a thread on Ask Ubuntu which might be of help to those of you who still have an issue with this problem. For what it's worth, the PulseAudio tsched=0 thing worked like a charm for me.
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/15789...-distorted-bad

Beans

My problem is not related to VLC or Skype, I got that noise most of the time without those programs even installed on my ubuntu.

I just made fresh install of 14.04 LTS and same problem. Sound is like when you have old radio and searching for stations, that buzzing sound. If I restart my computer, the buzzing sound starts as soon as moving ubuntu logo appears, long before I even login.

Now yesterday for example buzzing was gone, and today appeared again even though I didn't even restart the computer.

I am so extremely frustrated because of this issue, it's just driving me nuts. The only way to stop it is to mute sound. Would be very appreciated if someone can give me some advice on how to possibly solve it.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast