Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Constant Crackling/Popping Sound on Ubuntu 13.10

Beans

Re: Constant Crackling/Popping Sound on Ubuntu 13.10

Quote Originally Posted by zierom View Post
    Hi childintime,
    when I was reading your post I suffered with you. I had the same problems under 14.04 with external speakers, whereas headphones worked flawlessly. However I found a solution that worked for me:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/16088...aptop-speakers

The method is to disable the intel audio power save settings..
    Thanks, but I am not able to follow the guide. It say edit "/sys/module/snd_hda_intel/parameters/power_save". But I cannot save that after editing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Rather than trawl through every post, I'll just ask: Are you still using 13.10 or have you upgraded to a supported release?

13.10 is no longer supported and updates/upgrades are no longer available. This can be problematic and leave your machine vulnerable (no security updates).

Just thought I'd mention.
    I am using 14.04 LTS since its release.

Beans

I also found that confusing. I first modified the /usr/lib/pm-utils/power.d/intel-audio-powersave
    that worked without problems.

I then tried to modify the /sys/module/snd_hda_intel/parameters/power_save
    and the /sys/module/snd_hda_intel/parameters/power_save_controller

I gave root-writing permission to the files but they didn't want to save any changes at all. My guess is they were being used by another process.

Then I read the guide carefully again. And it says, after you've modified the /usr/lib/pm-utils/power.d/intel-audio-powersave
    you're supposed to restart your system and then modify the remaining two files. And modifying those is only necessary if you have an HDA soundcard (whatever that is).

So I restarted and out of curiosity tested the speakers and they worked! So I didn't bother about changing the remaining files.
    Last edited by zierom; December 8th, 2014 at 02:01 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zierom View Post
    I also found that confusing. I first modified the /usr/lib/pm-utils/power.d/intel-audio-powersave
    that worked without problems.

I then tried to modify the /sys/module/snd_hda_intel/parameters/power_save
    and the /sys/module/snd_hda_intel/parameters/power_save_controller

I gave root-writing permission to the files but they didn't want to save any changes at all. My guess is they were being used by another process.

Then I read the guide carefully again. And it says, after you've modified the /usr/lib/pm-utils/power.d/intel-audio-powersave
    you're supposed to restart your system and then modify the remaining two files. And modifying those is only necessary if you have an HDA soundcard (whatever that is).

So I restarted and out of curiosity tested the speakers and they worked! So I didn't bother about changing the remaining files.
    Well I restarted as well, but still cannot save the files. And it didn't fix anything for me unfortunately.

Beans

bump just in case....

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678