Thread: Bastille Linux Vs Ubuntu Terminal

Beans

Question Bastille Linux Vs Ubuntu Terminal

Hi,

I was looking for a way to secure Ubuntu 12.04 Desktop version LTS-V.

Then I read about Bastille Linux and how powerful it is however I wonder.

Using Terminal : Is there a way to secure/Harden Ubuntu desktop using terminal/CLI without using Bastille Linux, where it would be understood that we end up with the same if not better security level than using Bastille Linux?

Curious to know the commands that we could use to harden it i.e using CLI only.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Re: Bastille Linux Vs Ubuntu Terminal

What do you want to harden? By default, Ubuntu installs with almost nothing listening on any ports. If you install other services, it is usually because you want them to work, so "hardening"" is not the answer there.

What specifically are you trying to do, and why?

Beans

Wink Re: Bastille Linux Vs Ubuntu Terminal

Hi,

Many thanks for responding.

In short I want to harden my own computers using CLI instead of using downloaded security programs. Can someone post all the commands to do this?

Points to be noted: Basically no computer user whether a novice or an expert will use a barebones linux install without some or a very high level of customization, this tends to either strengthen or weaken security on the host computer.

Hence the task today is to accomplish with terminal/CLI what Bastille Linux is capable of accomplishing.

I guess the same applies with the multitude of security programs that exist out there that :

1) Search and identify vulnerabilities.

2) Rectify the vulnerabilities.

3) Monitor for any major or minor changes to the OS.

This is what I am trying to accomplish but using only CLI. One thing I have started loathing with these security tools is downloading and installing this and that software for this and that purpose and it only uses space on my disk and then there is a learning curve to it which is sometimes steep, the programs provide a good amount of usability via a GUI yes no doubt but then why not DIY?. The CLI is built into Linux and can do the same thing (if not better) isn't it??

PLUS The end result is that we have more control as we know what changes we have made but we don't know what changes they have made unless they tell us or we go looking for the changes THEN sometimes in the process of installing their software we don't know if there are any bugs.

Hope that explains.
    Last edited by kingcobraa; November 17th, 2013 at 04:38 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Did you try reading through this sticky
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=510812

Some points in there covering what you're asking about.

As far as a security goes, though, the end-user can make or break all plans.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by kingcobraa View Post
    Hi,

Many thanks for responding.

In short I want to harden my own computers using CLI instead of using downloaded security programs. Can someone post all the commands to do this?

Points to be noted: Basically no computer user whether a novice or an expert will use a barebones linux install without some or a very high level of customization, this tends to either strengthen or weaken security on the host computer.

Hence the task today is to accomplish with terminal/CLI what Bastille Linux is capable of accomplishing.

I guess the same applies with the multitude of security programs that exist out there that :

1) Search and identify vulnerabilities.

2) Rectify the vulnerabilities.

3) Monitor for any major or minor changes to the OS.

This is what I am trying to accomplish but using only CLI. One thing I have started loathing with these security tools is downloading and installing this and that software for this and that purpose and it only uses space on my disk and then there is a learning curve to it which is sometimes steep, the programs provide a good amount of usability via a GUI yes no doubt but then why not DIY?. The CLI is built into Linux and can do the same thing (if not better) isn't it??

PLUS The end result is that we have more control as we know what changes we have made but we don't know what changes they have made unless they tell us or we go looking for the changes THEN sometimes in the process of installing their software we don't know if there are any bugs.

Hope that explains.
    There is a reason why tools such as Bastille Linux are preferred - they are regularly tested and screened for bugs and issues by the community. If you setup a DIY system, there is no guarantee that it is free of bugs/issues.

Then, back on topic....
    1. Make sure your system is updated
    You can setup automatic security updates by running
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install unattended-upgrades
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure unattended-upgrades
    (while choosing yes at the prompt)
    2. Enable Firewall
    You can use either iptables or ufw
    I like iptables, but thats just because I'm used to using csf/lfd....
    There are plenty of guides on the internet that show you how to deny all traffic by default except for established sessions, so I wont cover this here

3. Setup GrSecurity and PAX
    Heres a guide -> http://www.insanitybit.com/2013/06/1...ew-autoconfig/
    Read more about GrSecurity here

4. Write your own apparmor rules
    Ubuntu runs a MAC (Mandatory Access Control) system called Apparmor. By default, applications such as rhythmbox, pidgin, .etc .etc have read access to lots of areas of your system. You can write apparmor rules to secure them.

There are a few more things that you can read over at http://www.insanitybit.com/2012/12/1...-ubuntu-linux/
    Ubuntu Forums Moderation Staff
    Okay then. We're relying on mirror dust and fairies but now we have a plan which is progress - Emma

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

You still have not said what you want to do. You have just said what tools you want to use.

What services are on this system that you want secured? What threats are you concerned with?

Just saying "I want to harden my server" is nothing. That can be anything from "Unplug the Ethernet cable" to doing nothing because you have no services listening...