Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Your thoughts on the new Tablet focus

Beans

Re: Your thoughts on the new Tablet focus

Quote Originally Posted by Copper Bezel View Post
    They're two separate things. On the one hand, it'd be nice if Canonical got to ship some Ubuntu devices. On the other, it'd be nice to see the mobile space move toward more hackability and the idea that buying a device doesn't mean committing to a particular OS, carrier, or vendor.

At least, I think of it as two separate things. I like both free software and freedom. = )
    Couldn't agree more. It seems like we just got to the point where you can install an alternative on a PC and really work with it, and along come these mobile devices that are more locked down than the PC ever was.

Beans

Re: Your thoughts on the new Tablet focus

it seems like this thread is dead, but it's the right thread to post my own thoughts about the ubuntu touch os.
    personally i feel that it's progressing really slow, i've tried contributing, but my own abilities and the limited guidelines are annoying me.
    ubuntu touch is really an interesting concept here. however i feel that it's unnecessary to have all these operating systems. wouldn't this be a better concept
    if the ubuntu touch os is really extension OS for the actual ubuntu, allowing you to both operate your computer remotely, and accessing the files on it.
    in my honest opinion, the os for mobile devices should be redesigned for this kind of functionality, rather than bringing the entire operating system to a mobile device and slowing it down. also, i hate having to go through 8 SD cards, and my local hard disks all to find one file, or even to copy a file between my android and ubuntu through usb or wifi. (I know, i'm lazy as <snip>).
    anyway, i just needed to express my thoughts on this as i'm currently stuck getting clear instructions on flashing some of my androids...
    to make it short, i'd just much rather have a ubuntu phone, which works as an extension to my workstation, rather than having 2 or more operating systems
    Last edited by cariboo; September 28th, 2014 at 01:35 AM. Reason: removed implied profanity

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123