Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your thoughts on the new Tablet focus

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Your thoughts on the new Tablet focus

He's working on the assumption that the things he dislikes about Unity are "trickle-down effects" from the tablet interface, which would make it on-topic as a response to the idea that the desktop could benefit. (This assumption is untrue, however, given that most of the complaints don't even apply to Ubuntu Touch and that Unity on the desktop is its own thing with its own inertia and very little influence from tablet OSs beyond some aesthetic cues.)
    I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home~

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    I have no idea how you conclude from the article that Canonical is is abandoning phone and the desktop. Sounds like what people multitask methodically would do, at different time you focus on one thing and then come back to other stuffs later.
    I don't think anyone said anything about it being dropped based on the article, I think that is personal observation since Ubuntu Edge went so well, and my statement talked about my concern if it does get dropped how it would effect the relationship with companies who are taking interest, the big word I used was "if" which does not make claim to fact.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

It depends on how much 'focus' is put onto the tablet version, I hope there is still a very strong focus on the phone.
    // Blog

Beans

I am sick and tired of Unity haters trolling every thread (and every Linux forum apparently). ....
    There's a caution about not feeding trolls. We feed trolls by responding to them in any manner whatsoever. It doesn't take much intelligence to figure out who's a troll. Then why not just leave them alone?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by ikt View Post
    It depends on how much 'focus' is put onto the tablet version, I hope there is still a very strong focus on the phone.
    I wouldn't mind, hopefully though when it is fully stable and has enough features for me to replace my Android OS I am hoping they have ways to port it to Samsung S devices since the Nexus 4 or 5 are not on every carrier here in he United States.

Beans

Personally, I think it makes more sense to focus on tablets than phones. A phone is useless without carrier support, and that's one more barrier to entry for a new mobile OS.

Plus, I really just don't like Android; and I don't mean that in an Android vs. iOS way. I just think there's gotta be a better OS for this hardware; Ubuntu might not be it, but we won't know until some alternatives come out.

Beans

i really like the idea that the user buys the tablet of there choice and then loads the ubuntu tablet OS on to it.

Obviously there is a few hurdles that need to be sorted out 1st like if you want this to be made user friendly from the start you will need to make it easy and clear on how to load ubuntu tablet OS on to the tablet.

I'm excited to see more developments on what is happening with the Ubuntu tablet OS and hope that it will be available to be installed on most tablets.

Beans

I am sick and tired of Unity haters trolling every thread (and every Linux forum apparently). There are many desktops you can choose from, why don't you guys just leave Unity alone? Why do you want to take away OUR choice? How arrogant for you people to proclaim that Unity is a mistake, that it is not "sensible" as if it is some kind of objective fact simply because YOU don't like it??!! And it is unbelievable that you actually think that Canonical should ditch Unity thereby removing other people's choice simply because it is not your cup of tea. Who elected you to speak for all users? Many of us do like Unity.
    Overreact much? Most of what you say here has nothing to do with my post.
    Last edited by v1k1ng1001; November 19th, 2013 at 04:43 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Obviously there is a few hurdles that need to be sorted out 1st like if you want this to be made user friendly from the start you will need to make it easy and clear on how to load ubuntu tablet OS on to the tablet.
    Hopefully no way will be needed. It will be preinstalled. The fact that right now you can try it Google devices is a plus. That means there is some cooperation there. As for clear and easy, IDK. Unlocking the bootloader would be first. (For me, when I buy a new device, bootloader and root are the first things I unlock, Slimbean for now, but I change ROMS like the weather)

Would it be as simple as that? An Ubuntu Rom in zip form that you move to your device then install using your preferred recovery? Would you have to cleanly format, wipe cache, dalvik cache, format, then flash?

But of course, this being Canonical, there will be detailed instructions posted.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

They're two separate things. On the one hand, it'd be nice if Canonical got to ship some Ubuntu devices. On the other, it'd be nice to see the mobile space move toward more hackability and the idea that buying a device doesn't mean committing to a particular OS, carrier, or vendor.

At least, I think of it as two separate things. I like both free software and freedom. = )
    I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home~

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast