Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your thoughts on the new Tablet focus

Beans

Your thoughts on the new Tablet focus

Reference: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/11/u...4-04-lts-cycle

Apparently the focus for the next lts cycle is to be the tablet interface. What do you think about this?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Your thoughts on the new Tablet focus

I hope for some "trickle-down" benefit to the desktop version.
    de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum -- Wiktionary

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I would buy an Ubuntu tablet. I can see google buying up Ubuntu and just morphing it into the Nexus product. There would be no "trickle-down" in this scenario.

What happened to the Ubuntu phone?
    Last edited by tgalati4; November 16th, 2013 at 11:30 PM.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tgalati4 View Post
    What happened to the Ubuntu phone?
    He's hanging out with Ubuntu TV over at HURD's house.

I don't know, I suspect it's on the backburner since the Edge campaign failed. Anymore, what's the difference between a tablet OS and a phone OS? Screen size and a dialer app.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

After the Tablet idea fizzles out, I can see Ubuntu as a car infotainment system. Maybe an Ubuntu Watch, or an Ubuntu Talking Shoe.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tgalati4 View Post
    After the Tablet idea fizzles out, I can see Ubuntu as a car infotainment system. Maybe an Ubuntu Watch, or an Ubuntu Talking Shoe.

You forgot about Ubuntu glasses and the Ubuntu fridge.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    I hope for some "trickle-down" benefit to the desktop version.
    I'm not holding my breath. Although I appreciate its general outline, in practice and in detail, unity just becomes more and more annoying.

The message, I think, is ditch unity and run/support some other sensible desktop environment. Gnome shell runs my htpc and XFCE on everything else.

No complaints about the 'buntu base which is working well with my hardware.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by v1k1ng1001 View Post
    I'm not holding my breath. Although I appreciate its general outline, in practice and in detail, unity just becomes more and more annoying.

The message, I think, is ditch unity and run/support some other sensible desktop environment. Gnome shell runs my htpc and XFCE on everything else.

I like Unity, though you can install gnome desktop through the command line and it works just fine.

Ubuntu Phone was just a bad idea cause the point was to get some hardware vendor's but it is much harder then getting to ship on PC. For one you have to get a hardware vendor then you and the hardware vendor has to get onto a mobile network and this is to much work. My only concern is I know Canonical has some big name companies interested in Ubuntu phone so if they back out good luck to anyone ever paying attention to them again.

Ubuntu tablet is a great idea I think, maybe not in the sense of trying to pick a hardware vendor but if Linux can do to the tablet as they do with the PC where I can buy a laptop and then load an OS of my choice with ease I would be happy with this. I hate the idea of locked down hardware and you have to use what it comes with.

My issue is it looks like Canonical is working in multiple ways, I thought the point of that they are doing is not just for the user benefit of having one platform to rule them all but also make it easier for developers? I think when they say the tablet edition needs to be ready and is the main focus is it is time to have it out by 14.04, not that the desktop is not important but they need to get something out after the failure to launch Ubuntu TV and Ubuntu Edge they need something else to be a success other then there desktop.
    Last edited by grier-devon; November 17th, 2013 at 05:50 PM.

Beans

I have no idea how you conclude from the article that Canonical is is abandoning phone and the desktop. Sounds like what people multitask methodically would do, at different time you focus on one thing and then come back to other stuffs later.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by v1k1ng1001 View Post

I am sick and tired of Unity haters trolling every thread (and every Linux forum apparently). There are many desktops you can choose from, why don't you guys just leave Unity alone? Why do you want to take away OUR choice? How arrogant for you people to proclaim that Unity is a mistake, that it is not "sensible" as if it is some kind of objective fact simply because YOU don't like it??!! And it is unbelievable that you actually think that Canonical should ditch Unity thereby removing other people's choice simply because it is not your cup of tea. Who elected you to speak for all users? Many of us do like Unity.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; November 17th, 2013 at 08:30 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast