Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Haven't been able to get Steam running on a fresh install of 13.10

Beans

Re: Haven't been able to get Steam running on a fresh install of 13.10

Quote Originally Posted by murray-472 View Post
    So I know this is a few weeks old but it doesn't seem like any solution was found. I stumbled upon this thread trying to fix the same problem myself. What caused it for me was having some leftover files (maybe from my installation of steam in WINE) in the home folder. I went through the home folder and removed any files or folders with "steam" in their name. After re-installing, steam worked perfectly.

Well..... Have you tried another version of Ubuntu. Beside 13.10 support only for few months the 12.04.3 support until 2017. Well I have no issue with Steam on 12.04.3.

Beans

I've just had same symptoms on an updated Ubuntu 13.10.
    You can actually run steam with debugger: DEBUGGER=gdb steam
    When in gdb you have to enter "r" to run the app wait for the crash and see backtrace (bt).
    Mine was is in 32-bit version of nVidia's OpenGL library: /usr/lib32/libGL.so.1
    When I looked at this file it was a link to libGL.so.331.20, probably meaning version 331.20 of nVidia driver.
    So I look at what I have installed and found another version of the drivers in /usr/lib32/nvidia-304 (304.88)
    I don't know how they got there, but I can see there is a package installed nvidia-304, so if you don't have them try installing this package.

Then, you can run steam forcing to use the old libraries:
    LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib32/nvidia-304 steam

In my case steam started fine.

Cheers
    Pawel
    Last edited by Pawel_Pieczul; February 27th, 2014 at 09:50 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by murray-472 View Post
    So I know this is a few weeks old but it doesn't seem like any solution was found. I stumbled upon this thread trying to fix the same problem myself. What caused it for me was having some leftover files (maybe from my installation of steam in WINE) in the home folder. I went through the home folder and removed any files or folders with "steam" in their name. After re-installing, steam worked perfectly.
    This worked for me

Beans

Hi,

I had faced the same problem, as some one mentioned in this thread, raised a ticket in steam support ticket. They have give this as solution and it worked.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12