Thread: Wanna Learn GTK

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Wanna Learn GTK

Hey Guys I am new to Programming, a complete noob.
    I wanna lear GTK Programming can you guys Suggest me where i can find the material??

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Wanna Learn GTK

GTK use is a little advanced for someone new to programming.
    How to learn to program is what I always tell folks.

GTK is just an API, so you'll need to learn a different language before you can jump into that. Then each language will have different bindings to the GTK libraries, though the overall API will be similar.

Most important is to get started on a project that you have unlimited passion around. Something you'll be happy working on for many months. Passion with hard work can trump almost every other deficiency.

squakie is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

+1 - as TheFu said, since you are new to programming, GTK is more advanced than whet you should plan to use from the start. Start simple - pick a language, find the online tutorials for it (there are literraly hundreds for most) and just dig in. The best way to learn sometimes really is learning not what to do. As far as GTK goes, it really isn't that bad to integrate into a project, but you need programming skills first. There is also a package called Devhelp that might help you out - I've used it in the past but can't really recall what all is in it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by squakie View Post
    +1 - as TheFu said, since you are new to programming, GTK is more advanced than whet you should plan to use from the start. Start simple - pick a language, find the online tutorials for it (there are literraly hundreds for most) and just dig in. The best way to learn sometimes really is learning not what to do. As far as GTK goes, it really isn't that bad to integrate into a project, but you need programming skills first. There is also a package called Devhelp that might help you out - I've used it in the past but can't really recall what all is in it.

Thanks a million guys... Can u also suggest me which Programming Language would be easier to learn???

Beans

I would say GTK+ development is best done in conjunction with the C programming language. The question of whether it's suitable for a beginner is open to debate; if you're willing to put in the time and effort it can be done.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by veltarus View Post
    I would say GTK+ development is best done in conjunction with the C programming language. The question of whether it's suitable for a beginner is open to debate; if you're willing to put in the time and effort it can be done.
    Yes i am willing to spend time on that... how much time it will take me to start GTK+ Programming after learning C Programming ??

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Mohan1289 View Post
    Yes i am willing to spend time on that... how much time it will take me to start GTK+ Programming after learning C Programming ??
    Depends how good you are with C. If you can program with it well enough to understand exactly what the the API reference says, then (in my experience) you should have no problem with it and be able to start GTK+ in a matter of hours.