Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubuntu 14.04 convergence plans

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu 14.04 convergence plans

Mark Shuttleworth explained convergence thoughtfully with this brief snippet;

"It is a tough job .. you know .. bridging the needs and the passions and enthusiasms of so many different parts of the community is challenging. It requires highly resolved ... or .. Firm Resolve! and great judgment about people and an ability to lead and make decisions."

Regards..
    This is Rolling Release
    Warnings for New Beta Testers& Helpful Terminal Commands:
    Running Trusty /devel/@ 5.120GHz32bit/ Please put [ prefix] on New Threads!

Beans
    Distro

Just a side note on "side stage".. I had wrongly assumed that Jono was including desktops in the convergence plan also but, after reveiwing Mark's keynote again and also looking at Jono's statement .. I see now that this is for tablets/phones exclusively , although the tools will be in the repos and we can still experiment with mir? unity-system-co .. etc..

Regards..
    This is Rolling Release

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    @ventrical

No offence taken. When I made that comment I was actually thinking about having an emulator on the desktop that emulates mobile devices and lets us test the mobile apps as if we were actually running one of those devices.

Regards.
    As so here it is
    Attached Images Attached Images
    This is Rolling Release

Beans
    Distro

@ventrical

Are you tempting me to go off topic? How did you get that? A couple of hours ago I put in a fresh trusty install and followed the instructions here

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/Emulator

And it worked. I got a panel with a key pad and some VCR type controls but I could not work out how to use the thing.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    @ventrical

Are you tempting me to go off topic? How did you get that? A couple of hours ago I put in a fresh trusty install and followed the instructions here

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/Emulator

And it worked. I got a panel with a key pad and some VCR type controls but I could not work out how to use the thing.

Regards.

I went to synaptic and typed in unity8 and then installed it and all the other files with it. Then, reboot. Then type in:

Code:
    unity8
    in terminal. You will see a lot of verbose stuff scroll by .. but the mobile phone will come up and some of the apps work already !

I'll take a look at that link.

Moi .. off topic? lol
    This is Rolling Release

Beans
    Distro

I log in to terminal after the 'phablet' shows up and then it does nothing. Followed directions from link you posted.
    This is Rolling Release

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    I am sorry to say but I agree 100%. Not only can Canonical not compete with new Windows 8, it buries them! I just did an install of Win8 on a desktop Tower which has onboard ATi Radeon x400. Not even Ubuntu Unity 2D will operate on that video form factor.
    I'm interested in installing and beta-ing 14.04 when the first ISOs come out (did it for 12.04). Is there a list, in the meantime, of which ATI cards Unity8/Mir has blacklisted?
    Linux: You reap what you tweak.

Beans
    Distro

Is there a list, in the meantime, of which ATI cards Unity8/Mir has blacklisted?
    I do not know of such a list but from experiments during the saucy cycle (mainly by Ventrical) Xmir works great on Nouveau but not so great on proprietary video drivers. It usually does not load. In fact in Trusty it is Xmir that is blacklisted not to load by default. Here is the thread where we discuss Xmir on Trusty. Note that we now install the ubuntu-desktop-mir package.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2186679

There is also a Unity 8 in Trusty thread here.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2189491

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; November 23rd, 2013 at 04:50 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro

I have an Acer Extensa 4420 with Radeon Express 1250. I haven't tried trusty on that yet but I have been having problems with older ATi cards.. mostly anything under 1250 and under 256MB of RAM. I do not know of any obsolete list either but for sure there is one as proven out by all the ATi graphic adapter cards that now do not work (starting with saucy) and those nipped at the bud with raring. But ,if I understood correctly, I think Mark said something about hardware and open stack .. etc... and whether or not older hardware is to be included, we will have to see.

edit:

A side note here . I tried to load the trusty iso and on ATi RadeonX1250 and I got the same error as I did with saucy . Verbose scripts with one line echoing ::radeon registered panic notifier:: . Upon warm boot it will correct itself and load up the live session. It will also work after a hard boot. The thing is I am using read only .iso (discard on shutdown) So I am not exactly sure how this is being corrected in the .iso It can be perhaps that the .iso is 'flipping a bit" during load-up in BIOS so that a depend is met and the panic notifier is no longer called. What this has to do with convergence? It may be a more efficient method of jockeying in older hardware to meet depends for open-source drivers. I am assuming this atm but haven't documented it as of yet.

Regards..
    Last edited by ventrical; November 23rd, 2013 at 11:03 PM.
    This is Rolling Release

Beans
    Distro

Looks like convergence with hardware and openstack in on the fast-track because I just got an instal that rendered Unity 3D where it would not before on previous versions, after updating the trusty daily.

Code:
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5200] (rev a1)
    ventrical@ventrical-P4M266A-8237:~$
    This is Rolling Release

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12