Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why can't I use Thunderbird Calendar as my default Calendar application?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Why can't I use Thunderbird Calendar as my default Calendar application?

Hi
    I am using Ubuntu 13.10 [64 bit] and wonder if it is possible to use the Thunderbird Calendar Lightning 2.6.2 as the default calendar application. Today the only option is Evolution.

Details_004.png

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Why can't I use Thunderbird Calendar as my default Calendar application?

Is this package installed on your system?

Code:
    sudo apt-get install xul-ext-lightning

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by philinux View Post
    Is this package installed on your system?

Code:
    sudo apt-get install xul-ext-lightning
    Yes, it is.

Beans
    Distro

Only hit i can find is this. http://askubuntu.com/questions/76921...t-calendar-app

I use evolution with google calendar since it syncs with my desktop, laptop and smart phone.

Beans
    Distro

Only hit i can find is this. http://askubuntu.com/questions/76921...t-calendar-app

I use evolution with google calendar since it syncs with my desktop, laptop and smart phone.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

For me, leafpad is indicated as default Calender application in Settings - Details It is apparently difficult for the Ubuntu developpers to include Lightning as a default calendar in the system: the calendar even is not installed by default.

As a matter of fact, I do not really know what I am missing by lightning not being the default calendar.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by vanadium View Post
    For me, leafpad is indicated as default Calender application in Settings - Details It is apparently difficult for the Ubuntu developpers to include Lightning as a default calendar in the system: the calendar even is not installed by default.

As a matter of fact, I do not really know what I am missing by lightning not being the default calendar.
    I use Lightning since I had it synch with my Google account and it was available as an add-on to Thunderbird which is my mail client. I don't like Evolution as a mail client and you are not able to only use the Evolution calendar, right?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I am also using Thunderbird and Lighting. In fact, it was when I moved to Thunderbird that Canonical decided to make it the default email client Evolution is not installed by default, only the backend evolution-data-server is: if it is mentionned in your details, then you must have installed it at one time. But again: what is the added feature of a "default" calendar"? I just load thunderbird when I need my calendar.

Beans

The "Defaults" panel is only going to show apps that have a .desktop file (and of those there can't be a "NoDisplay=true" line
    So not missing anything

And, at least here, the timedate indicator > 'Add event' option is worthless in a default install

Beans
    Distro

But again: what is the added feature of a "default" calendar"? I just load thunderbird when I need my calendar.
    Well it is not like I can't use the calendar to anything I need but it is the satisfaction of having a complete system that is not just for fun but rather thought through and seamlessly integrated. In my upper right corner I have the Ubuntu date and time. If I click that I see a calendar and have an option to add an event. That is the "default calendar" i.e. Evolution. If I get an electronic contact card via e-mail or from a web site it opens up in the default contact list and it happens to be Evolution. Also meeting requests opens up in Evolution.

So it is just me. I want to have one calendar that is used whenever me or the system need a calendar.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast