Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: 1,713 Floppy Disks needed for Windows 8 installer

Quote Originally Posted by Euroman View Post
    Error reading diskette 1713
    Abort, Retry, Fail?
    Ha! Exactly! I was wondering what the chances of a clean install were. While installing Win me and a pile of floppies grew old together. At retirement age would be about the time that error message cropped up. A wasted life ...

Beans

WOW!!! What a nightmare, the days of installing Win XP Home Ed. from floppies took forever thank goodness for CD/DVD drives.
    I honestly think I'll give up after the 25th floppy disk... especially for the horrible Windows 8.0/ 8.1...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by urmbmjpb View Post
    I am wondering if anyone has actually tried to install a modern OS with floppies. Would be interesting to watch.
    Last OS that I've installed with floppies is Win 95. I can't remember how many floppies it was though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by urmbmjpb View Post
    I am wondering if anyone has actually tried to install a modern OS with floppies. Would be interesting to watch.
    No it wouldn't.
    Unless you like torturing yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by chikdee1 View Post
    WOW!!! What a nightmare, the days of installing Win XP Home Ed. from floppies took forever thank goodness for CD/DVD drives.
    I honestly think I'll give up after the 25th floppy disk... especially for the horrible Windows 8.0/ 8.1...
    That would be 24 more than me.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

squakie is offline Chocolate-Covered Ubuntu Beans
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

++++++++1 !! In the old days, we used to have to cram everything we could in real tight on the very early mainframes as memory was something people would laugh at today. As a systems programmer, I got to see the crazy code some of the programmers would write as things progressed in the 70's, 80's and early 90's. Seom people need to really go back to the one of the very early micro electronics trainers to learn how to REALLY do things, then come back and code today. So much crap just to accomplish a simple task - never worrying about the overhead. Sure, we have fast processors, relatively cheap fast memory, but for me at least, those things aren't the point - the point is to learn to "really" program. Assembler or machine code on very "small" (computing and memory-wise) computers can make one much more creative.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I remember loading programs to memory by hand, then paper tape, then - hoiy cow - punch cards, then "it's amazing" via a terminal, etc.. My first exposure to Microsoft was with the earliest Windows, from floppy of course. Then Windows grew - more floppies. Wanted Office Professional? Another "bazillion" floppies. I agree with deadflowr 100% - I wouldn't TOUCH a floppy now, let alone install something from them. I know I'm spoiled, as I know there are less-priviledged people and countries in the world that just can't afford updating hardware so they still need floppies. So, as much as I detest them now, we really do still need them around for all of those less fortunate than us.

Beans

Well guaranteed somewhere I must have a pack of floppies hidden in my personal stash of older PC gear,
    I think they'll make great drink coasters if I can just find them after getting back from my time machine...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by chikdee1 View Post
    Well guaranteed somewhere I must have a pack of floppies hidden in my personal stash of older PC gear,
    I think they'll make great drink coasters if I can just find them after getting back from my time machine...
    I think they stole it and renamed it the "way back" machine.....

Beans

Good morning everyone!!! Before anything else I think I'm gonna have me a nice cup of coffee and use my floppy disks coasters now that I found them...
    Cheers & To Good Health!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by chikdee1; November 19th, 2013 at 04:37 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Speaking of floppies, ain't it fun that the icon of "Save" in many (most?) applications today is still a floppy (and not always of the 3.5" variety)? Modern PCs haven't even got a drive for them, and the young generation (<=20yo) never handled used that kind of media...
    Warning: unless noted otherwise, code in my posts should be understood as "coding suggestions", and its use may require more neurones than the two necessary for Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast