Thread: Automatic suspend behaviour

Beans

Automatic suspend behaviour

The behaviour of automatic suspend seems a little awkward.

When I am watching a video automatic suspend occurs but the "Automatic Suspend" message box doesn't appear before the suspend and thus I cannot choose to ignore it.

When resuming after automatic suspend the massage box remains and needs clearing. Sometimes there are as many as 3 boxes on top of each other.

After entering the password to resume the screen blanks to black.

This behaviour is irritating and would be off-putting to new users.

Added later : also, once resumed the interface is started in the HUD data entry window.
    Last edited by boldie; September 28th, 2013 at 10:47 AM. Reason: New information

Beans

Re: Automatic suspend behaviour

That message box is annoying and I've yet to find a way to disable it. I usually just leave my laptop running with the screen up and when I get back to it and wake it up that message is on the display.

Beans

Did anyone find out how to turn this message box off?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Moved to General Help, seeing as Saucy has been released.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

My monitor shuts off but the computer and harddrives remain up. I do get the message box, so it just seems to be mocking me--saying it will suspend soon and staying up for hours. Sometimes suspend works manually, sometimes it only works with the terminal and sometimes it doesn't work at all.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

This will be of little help, but I had the OP's suspend problems on 13.10 Unity, but not on 13.10 Xubuntu. Perhaps it's down to a service running on Unity but not on Xubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

I've switched to proposed updates hoping to get a resolution to my suspend problems, but they're all still there:

1. will only suspend once (after being rebooted) all subsequent attempts from the menu or automatically do nothing (but manually from the terminal works)

2. network-manager often needs to be restarted

3. always, there is the little dialog when the monitor comes back up saying that it will suspend soon.