Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Firewall not working in 13.10 anymore ...

Beans

Re: Firewall not working in 13.10 anymore ...

if i'm not mistaken ufw/gufw just interfaces with iptables anyway, so why don't you retrieve the iptables setup that has been generated on your lts machines and copy it in full on your netbook? if you type iptables -l on one of your ufw/gufw machines it will give you a readout of the iptables rules, then just reproduce it with iptables again.

from https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Firewall
    UFW (Uncomplicated Firewall) is a front-end for iptables and is particularly well-suited for host-based firewalls. UFW was developed specifically for Ubuntu (but is available in other distributions), and is also configured from the terminal.
    I'm sorry UFW is not yet supported on saucy but perhaps you can try and contact the author or find somebody on https://launchpad.net/ufw who can recompile the code for you. The author hasn't been active since 2007 there

Beans

That first suggestion is good but I'm afraid that for my netbook ... I'm quite happy with 12.04 on my others but it doesn't work properly with this netbook ... I'm looking at other distros at this point. Perhaps one that does have a properly supported firewall GUI?

The thing is, I'm finding that ufw/gufw is far from the only package that's broken for 13.10.

Beans

also try the official ubuntu release. it might just be that gufw is not supported on kde (the g usually stands for gnome).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Don't know if you have solved this yet.
    What are your rules set to in ufw when it blocks wifi?

There are no simple guides because the configuration depends entirely on what your use case is. I gather that this is on a home Ubuntu desktop with no services running. If so, then a very simple yet robust configuration would be to deny all in and allow all out. That configuration would also allow your wifi to work.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12