Thread: Help Need to Uninstall Linux

Beans

Help Need to Uninstall Linux

Current OS: linux MINT 13 (Maya) only
    Machine: Acer Aspire 5720z

Cannot Install Win 7 from USB.

I need to either know how I can accomplish adding Win 7 to this OS

---OR---

How to uninstall Mint so that I can reinstall after Win 7 ( after reading through various threads/posts )
    I have gleaned :

Windows doesn't like to play second fiddle to another OS....
    Linux will not properly run on the Acer Aspire 5720z ( various power management issues....such as fan control, battery recognition( kubuntu ) and the like that I have experienced.

I am currently having to force the CPU fan on each time I start run the machine from the console.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I know Jack and Crap about Linux, and Jack left town.

Thanks

PS Linux will not recognize a Win 7 USB stick, even after changing Boot Order in Bios.......system thinks about it, then just boots to MINT.

PS...PS.....also currently unable to upgrade BIOS from USB and FreeDos ( most likely my errors on setting it up, but when I get to the point of trying to run from the drive, it only states "cannot be run from DOS".

The Capn
    Last edited by not found; November 14th, 2013 at 08:10 AM. Reason: marked as solved

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Help Need to Uninstall Linux

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Black-Heart View Post
    PS Linux will not recognize a Win 7 USB stick, even after changing Boot Order in Bios.......system thinks about it, then just boots to MINT.
    Linux has no affect on the BIOS. If the boot order is set to look first to the USB drive and it does not boot, then the USB very likely does not have anything bootable on it. The BIOS will then look at the remaining boot candidates until something does boot. I'd double check the USB.

You don't particularly need to delete Linux before installing Windows. You can remove the Linux partitions during the Windows install process. If memory serves, you need to reboot then and restart the Windows installation so it correctly reads the new partition scheme.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Welcome to the forum, Captain_Black-Heart.

You need to format your drive to fat32, or ntfs so windows will install to it.

Use a live linux usb, and open gparted. This will overwrite your linux install, so save any data you want to keep.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/17001...using-gparted/
    I learn something ubuntu everyday.
    dell precision T7500 1Tb hdd x 2
    2.67 Ghz intel xeon X5550 cpu
    nvidia quadro fx 4800-1.5 Gb video card

Beans

Thank you for your response(s).

I was finally able to burn a GParted disk, use it to reformat my partitions and install. I was planning on changing Linux distros anyway, and wanted a dual boot machine.
    In the end, I was able to figure it out on my own by reading the documentation on the gparted site. ( that is, after a few unsuccessful attempts ).

System is fine now and in good order.

Again....thank you for your replies.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Glad you fixed it,Captain_Black-Heart.

Good work.
    I learn something ubuntu everyday.
    dell precision T7500 1Tb hdd x 2
    2.67 Ghz intel xeon X5550 cpu
    nvidia quadro fx 4800-1.5 Gb video card

Beans

Captian, I don't know if you have tried this about power management,http://www.webupd8.org/2013/04/impro...y-life-in.html