Thread: Verdun (WW1 FPS in beta)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Verdun (WW1 FPS in beta)

I have been really enjoying red orchestera ost front recently but was a bit dissappointed with the empty servers and lack of progression/experience that you get with other MO FPS games. I had a quick google for a replacement found Verdun on the steam store.
    I'm surprised it hasn't had much of a mention here yet.
    Although still in beta it does seem very stable. I've had more problems with other stable release games with linux clients!
    One of the best parts is they appear to be supporting linux from the start so no more turning up late to empty servers when the windows/mac crowd have already gotten bored. It appears to be fairly well thought out and the graphics are excellent (in my opinion). They put a lot of emphisis on working together as a squad, although I don't think I've really been using that well in game (I've only played a few hours just dropping in and out of battles). I think the best way for it to work would be to have a squad where you already know the other three, rahter than just selecting a random party like I have been so far.
    There are a few problems I have noticed so far. I appear to lose my rank/exp everytime I turn it off and have to start afresh. Also it occassionally freezes before loading up a new battle (sometimes alt-tab helps, some times it crashes completely) Neither of those things stop it from being enjoyable at the moment (it reloads very quickly).
    I think it has a lot of potential, especially if the servers start to get fully populated when it gets its full release in Feb. Definitely worth a check out.

I would be interested to know if anyone else is having these problems or whether it is just my installation that is playing up.

Beans

Re: Verdun (WW1 FPS in beta)

As soon as i get into a game. My cross hairs point up to the sky and i cannot move at all. Then the game will freeze for 5-6 seconds. Tried inverting the mouse but that just causes the cross hair to point to the ground. I half wonder if it's my usb mouse that's causing the issue? I really don't know.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Verdun (WW1 FPS in beta)

I had that problem obly very briefly. I think turing everything off and on again helped, although that wasn't immeditately so could have just be a coincidence that it fixed next time I turned it on.
    Incidentally forgot to day it is running very well with graphics on fastest at 1650x1080 with 3gb ram (32bit ubuntu) a 2.6 dual core E6750 and a nividia 8800gt.