Thread: How do I change my username?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

How do I change my username?

Some time ago, the first time I used the new login, I checked my name and not an alias like jdeca57. There was also a matter of a duplicate e-mail, but that seems solved. I want to use the alias but I keep seeing my name here.

At the forum, when I'm logged in, my name is on the top of the screen. At first, there is the number of beans rule that prevents a user to interact with his account.

I posted some times so now I can edit my account, but... in 'My Profile' I don't really see where I can change the name.

Perhaps it's a cookie? But then again I installed an other OS, opensuse 12.3 (I know, 13.1 comes in a few days, it's just to test) and when I log in and give my account info without checking my real name, nothing changes: my name stays.

I went so far as to change my real name in Ubuntu One to jdeca57. No joy.

So, what do I have to do to get jdeca57 as username?

Thanks in advance,
    jdeca57

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: How do I change my username?

First of all - this account has the username that you chose when you created the account in 2008. There is an account named jdeca57 that was created in 2007. I suspect from details that I can see that this is yours as well. Both forum accounts were created long before SSO login, which means you chose both usernames. Both accounts have been logged into from Ubuntu One, which means that each account is linked to a different Ubuntu One account, this account with a gmail, and the jdeca57 account with a skynet email. If, as I believe, the jdeca57 account is yours, this means that you have two long-standing forum accounts and two Ubuntu One accounts.

This account has 33 posts in support areas, all posted since the introduction of SSO login. The jdeca57 account has 19 posts in support areas, most before SSO login, and these two since:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2181817

Was that you?

The forum rules do not allow more than one active account at one time. If you are the owner of the jdeca57 account, then you are able to log into either forum account using the appropriate Ubuntu One account.

So - are you the owner of the jdeca57 account? If so, I will need to disable one account and you can use the other.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I forgot the preface the previous post with:

Thread moved to Resolution Centre.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I am that same person and I'm trying to resolve the problem so
    The forum rules do not allow more than one active account at one time.
    is rather frustrating...
    Now, as you noticed I'm able to log in from both sides so I probably could login via my skynet / jdeca57 and change the e-mail but I'll have 2 the same gmail accounts which is the reason why I didn't try that.
    To resume: I'like the gmail associated with the name jdeca57 and erase the skynet account.
    Any solution is acceptable (deleting the current account on gmail and modifying the skynet if that's easier for you works for me too). There are no data that are not back-upped on Ubuntu One.
    Well, if you delete my current account I'll see it when I fail to log in ...

Again, thanks in advance
    Johan

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

This confuses me slightly:

Quote Originally Posted by Johan De Cauwer View Post
    To resume: I'like the gmail associated with the name jdeca57 and erase the skynet account.
    The Johan De Cauwer forum account has the gmail, the jdeca57 account the skynet. You wouldn't be able to change the jdeca57 account to the gmail, until you changed the Johan De Cauwer email to something else. The forum software won't permit the same email to be registered to more than one account. The same applies to Ubuntu One.

Before we go any further you need to understand a few things:

Ubuntu One accounts are separate entities from forum accounts, hosted on separate servers and administered separately. We, the forum team, have nothing to do with administering Ubuntu One. Be aware that although Ubuntu One prevents you from having the same email in different accounts, you can change the username yourself and have the same username in different accounts. I tell you this only so that you don't get confused with which Ubuntu One account is linked to which forum account. It's easy to do if you start changing credentials in the Ubuntu One accounts.

What I suggest is the following: You keep the jdeca57 account and I'll disable the Johan De Cauwer account. If you want to transfer the gmail to to the jdeca57 account I can help you with this when I disable the Johan De Cauwer account. If you also want to transfer the link to the Ubuntu One account that is currently linked with this forum account, I can help you with that too. Please be aware that once a forum account and Ubuntu One account are linked, the emails do not have to match - they only have to match for initial linking.

If you are happy with that, pm me with the full skynet address - as a security check and for confidentiality - and I can make the necessary arrangements.