Thread: no boot from cd

Beans

no boot from cd

Hi, I can not find anything in the search about this. Sorry if this has been ask before.

I have a dell 3000. and using ubuntu version 13.04 on a cd i bought off of ebay, I press f12 and the boot screen comes up. scroll down to cd and press enter, thinks for a while and boots up windows. Am I doing something wrong or help!!!!

Thanks,
    Ed.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: no boot from cd

Quote Originally Posted by plymouth53 View Post
    Hi, I can not find anything in the search about this. Sorry if this has been ask before.

I have a dell 3000. and using ubuntu version 13.04 on a cd i bought off of ebay, I press f12 and the boot screen comes up. scroll down to cd and press enter, thinks for a while and boots up windows. Am I doing something wrong or help!!!!

Thanks,
    Ed.
    Have you tried downloading an ISO from ubuntu.com and burning to a dvd?
    Ubuntu Forums Moderation Staff || SandyDNET
    Twitter: @CatchesAStar | Last.fm
    Ubuntu Membership via Forum Contributions

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If this is your Dell I would suggest Lubuntu 13.10 in stead of Ubuntu.
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I hope you didn't pay a lot for the CD. For one, Ubuntu is free. For another, Ubuntu 13.04 doesn't fit on a CD, unless it's the minimal install (with no graphical environment installed by default). Moreover, 13.04 is non-LTS, no longer the latest release, and will only be supported until January. (You should really be using 12.04 LTS or 13.10.)

I second Morgaes' comment. If that is indeed your machine, you should be running something lighter like Lubuntu.
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

Beans

I only paid a little over 3.00 for the disk. I tried download the file from the site but when I tried to burn to the disk a error message, no disk loaded in burner, there was a disk loaded. That is why I bought a disk. I was not going to pay much just in case. I bought a 8 meg USB drive today and will try to download and install Lunbuntu, hopfuly this will work.

If I still having problems should I start a new thread under USB drive install?

Thanks for the help,

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by plymouth53 View Post
    If I still having problems should I start a new thread under USB drive install?
    Maybe you don't need posting at all. There are so many threads with solutions to boot problems that I think you will find the answer to any given problem with a little googling.
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts