Code:
    sudo mkdir /.Test
    *** And an non-hidden directory:
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /Test
    *** Use bindfs to mount one to the other:
    Code:
    sudo bindfs -o perms=0660:+X,force-group=plugdev /.Test /Test
    Now copy a file to /Test. It's permissions will be 660 and it's group will be plugdev. To undo the mount:
    Code:
    sudo umount /Test
    Note: The only reason I chose plugdev as the group is that it's already available.

To make this permanent you have a couple of options:

*** Add the line without sudo to rc.local
    *** Or, Add a line to /etc/fstab with a different syntax:
    Code:
    bindfs#/.Test    /Test    fuse    perms=0660:+X,force-group=plugdev    0    0
    *** Or, The way I do this is with an Upstart Job which is in my opinion the most reliable and safest way to do these sorts of things:

Create an upstart file:
    Code:
    gksu gedit /etc/init/bindfs-mounts.conf
    With this content:
    Code:
    # Remount Directories with Bindfs
    #
    description "Bindfs Remounts"

start on stopped mountall

script
    bindfs -o perms=0660:+X,force-group=plugdev /.Test /Test
    end script
    Once set by bindfs all files and folders created in, copied to, or moved to that folder will have group ownership of plugdev and folder/file permissions of 770/660 except for files that are executable - they will be 770. At this point no other process - not umask, not Samba, not even root - can change permissions on an individual file.
    Last edited by Morbius1; November 13th, 2013 at 02:46 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Sharing

Quote Originally Posted by Morbius1 View Post
    Here's a mini HowTo on the use of Bindfs is you are interested:
    That is some cool stuff for admins! Guess we know how mount.ntfs works now (which drives me nuts) ... it uses bindfs.
    Still, I can see uses and simplified methods from the way I've been doing things in some places.

Plus it will be lots-o-fun to screw with development teams. Never let them create an executable file (ok, just not set the +x perms) on their file system - I can hear the laughing now! Wonder how much time they will waste on this? It would be cruel.

Beans

That's a big "X" in the bindfs statement. Files that are executable will remain so. It's the same as doing a:
    Code:
    chmod -R a+rwX,o-w /Test
    I'll edit my previous post to make that clear.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Morbius1 View Post
    That's a big "X" in the bindfs statement. Files that are executable will remain so. It's the same as doing a:
    Code:
    chmod -R a+rwX,o-w /Test
    I'll edit my previous post to make that clear.
    Saw that ... it was clear to me, but I was thinking of a different use-case: "Screw with devs" was the purpose. Might be handy on a data file system too - you know, a place for documents and media files only.

Some day I'll grow up ... maybe around age 60? Probably not.

Beans

You know, the subject of the execute bit and bindfs is somewhat confusing especially if you've never used it before so it might be worth explaining a bit more.

Bindfs creates a "view" of a folder whose attributes are defined by the bindfs statement. It has no affect on the folder that it is bound to. So using my example above if I create a new file in /Test in 13.10 it will save with permissions of 644 in /.Test but it will appear as 660 in /Test because bindfs makes it so.

Similarly, if I set the execute bit on that file in /Test it will change it to executable in /.Test but this time also in /Test since the bindfs statement makes it so with the "perms=0660:+X" statement.

So setting the execute bit in bindfs can be thought of as working as designed because of the way I crafted the bindfs statement or the exception to the "no other process can change permissions" rule.

Beans

I have a home network where my wife and I are members of the network. We each have our own desktops and on her machine, I have set her up as owner=mary and group=family. On my machine owner=peter, group=family. I created the family group and added mary and peter as members. Next I set umask 007 (or 0007) in the files: ~/.profile ~/.bashrc /etc/profile /etc/login.defs Both my wife and I backup our files using rsync to a backup drive attached to my machine and formatted EXT4 and is shared. The problem I am having is some files end up on that external drive with the original default permissions of rw-r--r-- instead of rw-rw---- and in the case of folders some end up with the original default permissions of rwxr-xr-x instead of rwxrwx--- In addition, some of my files end up as petereter instead of peter:family and her files end up as mary:mary instead of mary:family I am forever running chown and chmod so either of us can access the others files. when I type umask in a CLI I get 0022. I am not sure why this is happening. My research on umask has not brought up any areas that I need to adjust. my latest effort is to add sudo chfn -o "umask=007" peter to my /etc/passwd file and sudo chfn -o "umask=007" mary to my wife's. Not sure if this is the right thing to do as the /etc/passwd file contains lines that are not like the commands I added. Any ideas? Thanks, Peter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12