Thread: No file name column in archive manager

Beans

Question No file name column in archive manager

Hi all,

I have a strange problem where there is no file name column when opening an archive with the default ubuntu "Archive Manager" program - see below screenshot:

I have checked all menu options I can find and can't find any options for bringing it back. I'm sure the solution is stupidly simple but I can't seem to find it. Any help?

Beans

Re: No file name column in archive manager

Quote Originally Posted by MDGM View Post
    Hi all,

I have a strange problem where there is no file name column when opening an archive with the default ubuntu "Archive Manager" program - see below screenshot:

I have checked all menu options I can find and can't find any options for bringing it back. I'm sure the solution is stupidly simple but I can't seem to find it. Any help?
    Hi there.
    I got the same problem!
    When googeling it seems like we are the only ones stupid enough not being able to see the filenames in archive manager..
    I also tried uninstalling / reinstalling but without result.
    Last edited by pacmyc1; December 17th, 2013 at 10:30 PM. Reason: cant find a way to delete a double post.. :(

Beans

Hi all,

Hi there.
    I got the same problem!
    When googeling it seems like we are the only ones stupid enough not being able to see the filenames in archive manager..
    I also tried uninstalling / reinstalling but without result.

Beans

Glad to find somebody else who has the same problem! I was beginning to think I'd be the only one stuck like this forever! Like you said, no luck on google, so ANYBODY with the slightest idea, you got 2 desperate people here

Beans

Just had a bit of a play with this one, I can reproduce this symptom by setting the name-column-width to a small non-zero value (e.g. 1) - if that's the issue, you should be able to reset it with

Code:
    gsettings reset org.gnome.FileRoller.Listing name-column-width

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by steeldriver View Post
    Just had a bit of a play with this one, I can reproduce this symptom by setting the name-column-width to a small non-zero value (e.g. 1) - if that's the issue, you should be able to reset it with

Code:
    gsettings reset org.gnome.FileRoller.Listing name-column-width

Well, that's beatiful, comfirmed solved

As a linux newbie I wonder how you found out that solution..

Beans

Fixed for me too, thanks man!! It was beginning to be very very annoying

Beans

Archive Manager allows you to resize the Name column to a minimum width of 1 pixel, effectively hiding it. Double-clicking the separator between the Name and Size headers has the same effect. This may be how you ‘lost’ the Name column.

The GUI actually allows you to recover and show the Name column again. Just drag the left border of the Size column header to the right. In fact, all the columns behave this same way.

This way of hiding and showing columns is counter-intuitive to some people (myself included). It’s an unfortunate consequence of Archive Manager’s otherwise excellent, minimalistic design.

Beans

Hi all,

Try to just re-size column width by mouse over column header split and move with press mouse it will be appear again .

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Yasser_Abdalkareem; January 4th, 2015 at 04:45 PM.