Thread: After update, can only acces Thunderbird via sudo

Hybrid View

Beans

After update, can only acces Thunderbird via sudo

Hello,
    recently my Thunderbird has stopped opening as usual, I can only open it via the terminal "sudo thunderbird" command. I have looked on the internet for a solution but none seems to work for me...
    So far I have tried:
    - uninstall/reinstall
    - creating a new profile and moving mail
    - in desperation even "chmod -R 777 .thunderbird" (after I tried to chown -R with appropriate user:group)

What bugs me is that I can remove/rename the .thunderbird directory the program starts OK without the need for sudo and I can create an new user. But as soon as I transfer my mail to the new directory it starts to only work with sudo.
    I thought it might be a problem with the files from inside the directory so I copied files from a backup I did 5 months ago and the same thing happens, no go. (I did not have the problem 5 months ago)

I have also posted this question on a Thunderbird specific forum, but heard nothing but silence from them.

So, any suggestions on what I should try next or how to debug this problem?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: After update, can only acces Thunderbird via sudo

You might set it back to regular permissions while we look at the rest.

Code:
    sudo chown -R koprov:koprov ~/.thunderbird/
    find ~/.thunderbird/ -type d -exec chmod 700 {} \;
    find ~/.thunderbird/ -type f -exec chmod 600 {} \;
    What kind of messages or errors does Thunderbird give you when you launch it from the terminal, but without sudo?

Beans

No luck with those permissions.

Well, there is no error at all, it just does not launch. In terminal it just returns to a new bash line and if I run it from a launcher it givers me the "loading wheel" for a sec and then does nothing.

Is there a way to view, step-by-step what an app does at launch and where it crashes?

Beans

bump? Anyone? It really feels uncomfortable (and unsafe) to be running Thunderbird with root permissions...

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Looking at Thunderbird on my machine using lsof, I see it accessing other directories in my home directory.

In particular I see Thunderbird using

/home/user/.cache
    /home/user/.config
    /home/user/.local
    /home/user/.thunderbird

What happens is you reset the permissions (sudo chown -R koprov:koprov ~) for your entire home directory? That should get all the other hidden directories that are being accessed and may have gotten written to as root.
    Last edited by Lars Noodén; November 12th, 2013 at 11:19 AM. Reason: more minimalist approach

Beans

Yes, that did it! Much kudos! I only could not get a hold of the .gvfs directory, but it does not seem to matter