Thread: Shutdown / Sytem button missing!

Beans

Question Shutdown / Sytem button missing!

I've been tinkering with Ubuntu 13.10 and after installing the Skype Wrapper noticed that the icon at the top right of the screen (the gear icon) was missing. I'm very new to Linux so I'm not sure why this would be, but have read that this is a common 'bug' in ubuntu after upgrading, but this was a completely fresh install on and empty hard drive on my laptop.

Not sure of the relevance of this info, but i struggle to even find skype in Software Centre and Synaptic Package Manager. I ended up installing it via the terminal - likewise for the wrapper.

Anyone know how to get the icon back?

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Shutdown / Sytem button missing!

It's some bug unfortunately there is a minor work around

Code:
    killall unity-panel-service

Beans

Thanks 0N3

Beans

I have the same problem. That is, no gear icon in the status bar. In fact the status bar is completely blank except for the network manager and Dropbox icons. But when I try 'killall unity-panel-service' I get 'no process found'.

This happened after upgrading from 13.04 to 13.10.
    Last edited by hufemj; November 11th, 2013 at 02:52 AM.

Beans

I had Dropbox syncing away as well. Not sure this has anything to do with it, but all info helps I guess! Does anyone know what actually courses this, or is it one of those mystery bugs that needs hunting down?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Try resetting unity to it's default state. Any customisations like launcher icon size can easily be restored afterwards.

http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/...-ubuntu-13-10/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by philinux View Post
    Try resetting unity to it's default state. Any customisations like launcher icon size can easily be restored afterwards.

http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/...-ubuntu-13-10/
    I tried that. The icons in the side task bar changed to the defaults, but the top status bar did not.

If I leave my session idle long enough so that the screen saver kicks in, the login screen will show the normal status bar with the shutdown (gear) button and the button works. I created a new user, but the status bar is completely blank for the new user as well.