Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Dell Venue Pro 8/11 with ubuntu?

Beans

Dell Venue Pro 8/11 with ubuntu?

I know these just came out but I was wondering if anyone had tried to install ubuntu on the Dell Venue pro 8 or 11. You can see the specs at dells website here:
    http://www.dell.com/us/p/dell-venue-8-pro/pd?oc=fncwv8p01h&model_id=dell-venue-8-pro
    Most other tablets seem to run "arm" which from everything I've read is a pain however these come with full blown windows 8.1 and an unlocked boot loader. They have an SD card slot and a micro USB (which I could boot a usb from with an adapter). The only thing I'm worried about is if I come up against some kind of weird driver or hardware issue. I''ve googled "linux on dell venue 8 pro" but have just found a bunch of reviews. I don't want to buy it unless I can get rid of windows and run ubuntu. Thoughts?

Beans

Re: Dell Venue Pro 8/11 with ubuntu?

Unfortunately, new baytrail tablets isn't good for ubuntu now, as I understand.
    The tablet must support disabling of secure boot and enabling of legacy boot to setup 32bit ubuntu.

And, as we can see, in asus t100 linux support isn't good.
    http://liliputing.com/2013/10/bootin...book-t100.html

May be, lenovo miix or dell venue or Toshiba Encore will have the better linux support.
    Last edited by prepodam; November 13th, 2013 at 08:39 PM.

Beans

I know you can disable secure boot but I'm not sure about legacy boot. Walmart has a good return policy so I may give it a shot and just return it if it does not work. Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thread moved to Mobile Technology Discussions.

Beans

In comments at amazon.com one of buyers says that Win8 message "Secure boot not configured" disappeared only after update BIOS. That seems stock BIOS without secure boot

Beans

I just bought one of these and tried booting Fedora on it. Written up here.

Secure Boot is enabled out of the box but is easy to disable in the firmware. You access the firmware by holding the volume down button for a couple of seconds right after powering on. The tricky thing about Bay Trail systems is that they have 32-bit UEFI firmwares, whereas up until now, just about every other UEFI system has been 64-bit UEFI, and that's what distros have focused on supporting. You need an image with a working 32-bit UEFI boot chain to get anywhere on one of these things. I was able to build such a Fedora image and get the system booted, but wasn't able to get to a functioning X or console due to what look like various kernel issues, with 3.12 and 3.13 kernels. Haven't tried any Ubuntu images yet, but I imagine Ubuntu would behave fairly similarly.

edit: there's no 'legacy boot' (CSM). You can _only_ boot the things from the internal storage or a USB stick, via native 32-bit UEFI. Can't boot in 'legacy mode', 'BIOS mode', whatever you want to call it, and can't boot from a micro SD card either (seems like). If you're going to buy one of these to fiddle with you're going to want a USB OTG adapter and a USB hub.

Beans
    Hidden!

Just to clarify, are you talking the Android-based Dell Venue 7/8? I don't see why it would have Windows-8 style secure-boot, and when I chatted with Dell chat they mentioned it does support root.

Just curious why Dell Venues aren't getting much attention/work porting as Nexus7, it seems to be very similar specs, about half the price. Is this secure-boot the Achilles' heel keeping this thing on AndroidOS (and outdated version, at that)?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by NoBugs! View Post
    Just to clarify, are you talking the Android-based Dell Venue 7/8? I don't see why it would have Windows-8 style secure-boot, and when I chatted with Dell chat they mentioned it does support root.

Just curious why Dell Venues aren't getting much attention/work porting as Nexus7, it seems to be very similar specs, about half the price. Is this secure-boot the Achilles' heel keeping this thing on AndroidOS (and outdated version, at that)?
    Please read the original post he did say Pro and even gave a link showing Windows 8.1 and Bay-Trail quad-core Intel Atom CPU.

I'd be interested if you could get Ubuntu to work on this. Hmm...
    MBA M1 - M1 8GB 256GB - macOS Monterey
    MSI GL65 - i5-10300H 16GB 512GB GTX 1650 Windows 11
    Galaxy Book Go - Snapdragon 7c Gen 2 4GB 128GB Windows 11

Beans

32bit UEFI boot is easy

Clover EFI is the best solution for that.

Beans

Does anyone know if any of these new Windows 8 Pro tablets are being targeted for Ubuntu Touch development or if the focus is only on ARM based tablets ?

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast