Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Dell Venue Pro 8/11 with ubuntu?

Beans

Talking Re: Dell Venue Pro 8/11 with ubuntu?

Quote Originally Posted by NoBugs! View Post
    Just curious why Dell Venues aren't getting much attention/work porting as Nexus7, it seems to be very similar specs, about half the price.
    The NSA is putting up 1/2 the cost

Beans

Re: Dell Venue Pro 8/11 with ubuntu?

Hello baumber,

First of all, sorry for the delay in responding, I did not have time to play with my computer...

Quote Originally Posted by baumber View Post
    Hello Migntom and everyone,

I'm interested in buying a Dell Venue 11 Pro 7130 (with Haswell CPU) and running it with Ubuntu.

Can you please post/attach the outputs of "as root: lsusb and lspci, lspci -vv and lsusb -vv, and cat /var/log/syslog, cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log, cat /proc/cpuinfo" from your Dell Venue 11 Pro 7130 (with Haswell CPU) to get an overview of the built-in hardware?
    I executed all of these commands, and pasted them here: http://pastebin.com/xXLByjNQ

I have search around and found reports of some technical defects/shortcomings/issues, described with the following keywords;

- Dell Venue Freezing; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fOvpSFp-YE

- Dell Venue Stylus Issues; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hh9QNEkpSbw

- Dell Venue Ghosting; Dell Venue 11 Pro screen going crazy:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPjm1bWDIfY and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBrRhFdUfL8
    and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOcwUk7LpmQ
    Under Linux, I never experienced any of these issues. I never encontered the freezing problem, also under Windows. However, the ghosting issue happened one time to me under Windows, but only during few seconds, and it never did it again. Maybe some updates fixed this problem. The stylus issues have been corrected, and using it is fine for me. The only problems I found is the tablet's start button: if you touch it, your tablet vibrates and it can be annoying. Under Windows, it activates the start menu, so it is more annoying. And for me, the buttons on the tablet are too easy to click, but with practice, you easily avoid undesired clickings.

- Chassis has a worse manufacturing quality(fabrication defects) than Dell Venue 11 Pro 5130 (with Atom CPU) or Dell Venue 8
    I don't know. I only have the 7130 version, so I cannot answer this question. But I do not see why the 7130 would have a worse manufacturing quality than the other options. All I can say is that my Dell Venue 11 Pro i3 seems to be a high-quality product.

- Problems/Changing of the screen, if you press with the finger besides the screen on the frame ...

- It is possible to press down the chassis deeply at the backside ...

- 3G module disconnects or doesn't accept sim-cards anymore

Can you confirm such problems?

German reviews:
    http://www.tabtech.de/tablet-tests/r...1-pro-im-tests

http://youtu.be/ZhWRmGEk8Lc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlijUyskce4

Best regards
    My tablet do not present any of these issues. Maybe some people received defect Venues Pro, but I do not experience any of these problems. I cannot answer for the 3G disconnection because I did not choose this option.

I hope this answers your questions.

Beans

Hello migntom,

thank you for your answers and sharing your outputs! I have more questions, but it is not urgent ...

Are there any news regarding Wifi (Dell Wireless 1537)?

Have you reported the non-detection of the Wifi-device to the kernel developers?

Neither in lsusb, nor in lspci the Wifi (vendor? Atheros based?) is listed, maybe there is a software rfkill switch to enable the device?

Check for rfkill switch with : "rfkill list", when it is blocked: "sudo rfkill unblock all"
    Check for disabled hardware with: sudo lshw -C network => something like "*-network DISABLED" is shown ...

Is there a vendor_id/name in Windows 8.1 for the Wifi?

It's not urgent, when you have time, can you please post the outputs of "dmesg and acpitool -e" ?

Thanks, baumber

Beans

There's a kernel bug report open (at least for the Baytrail version) that suggests that the relevant bus isn't being probed correctly -- looks like the wifi is as nonstandard as the display. Hopefully we'll see better kernel support from Intel soon as I think it's mostly on their end rather than Dell's and they've been pretty proactive about these things lately (this might also account for the touchpad issue): https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=67921

Beans

Angry Re: Dell Venue Pro 8/11 with ubuntu?

Are there any news regarding Wifi (Dell Wireless 1537)
    A (very) quick memo to let others know:
    Have Dell Venue 11 Pro 7130
    I just tried Ubuntu Development Release - 14.04 Beta 2.
    WiFi adapter was recognised and worked flawlessly out of the box.
    Had to add 'nomodeset' boot option to get display output...
    UBUNTU just eats the battery!
    Sorry but no time for more testing and reporting now ...

Beans

I also have the Dell Venue 11 Pro 7130. I used YUMI to put Ubuntu 14.04 Beta 2 on a 4gb SD card with some persistence. I was able to boot to the SD card with legacy boot. I had to add the nomodeset option during boot up but was able to get all the way into the operating system with the display, touchscreen, wifi, bluetooth, etc working. The only thing that did not appear to work correctly was the touchpad for the mobile keyboard. (The one with the battery built in) As mentioned above the battery really didn't seem to last long at first and the machine was running incredibly warm with the cooling fan running constantly until I set it down to install updates. I left it on running on battery all night, about 5.5 hours, with the screen off, not connected to the keyboard. So it might be that the screen on is what is causing the high heat and the battery drain. Not sure if that helps anyone but figured I'd let people know. I got this since it seemed the best choice for a windows tablet that could work with the 'legacy' windows programs but was really hoping to be able to run some version of linux on it too. I couldn't find any way to run a version on it until i saw the above post.

Beans

Hello migntom,

thank you for your answers and sharing your outputs! I have more questions, but it is not urgent ...

Are there any news regarding Wifi (Dell Wireless 1537)?

Have you reported the non-detection of the Wifi-device to the kernel developers?

Neither in lsusb, nor in lspci the Wifi (vendor? Atheros based?) is listed, maybe there is a software rfkill switch to enable the device?

Check for rfkill switch with : "rfkill list", when it is blocked: "sudo rfkill unblock all"
    Check for disabled hardware with: sudo lshw -C network => something like "*-network DISABLED" is shown ...

Is there a vendor_id/name in Windows 8.1 for the Wifi?

It's not urgent, when you have time, can you please post the outputs of "dmesg and acpitool -e" ?

Thanks, baumber
    I just installed the stable 3.14 kernel, but unfortunately no news regarding Wifi. I did not reported this problem because I do not have much time to find where I can do this.

And no, Wifi is not listed neither in lsusb nor in lspci. And nothing is listed if I use "rfkill list", or "lshw -C network".

In Windows 8.1, the Wifi card is listed as "Dell Wireless 1537 802.11 a/g/n Adapter" in the device manager. Manufactured by Qualcomm Atheros.

You will find the outputs of dmesg and acpitool -e here: http://pastebin.com/ubsQzfYa

Quote Originally Posted by Stanislav_Spasov View Post
    A (very) quick memo to let others know:
    Have Dell Venue 11 Pro 7130
    I just tried Ubuntu Development Release - 14.04 Beta 2.
    WiFi adapter was recognised and worked flawlessly out of the box.
    Had to add 'nomodeset' boot option to get display output...
    UBUNTU just eats the battery!
    Sorry but no time for more testing and reporting now ...
    Quote Originally Posted by samueljroys View Post
    I also have the Dell Venue 11 Pro 7130. I used YUMI to put Ubuntu 14.04 Beta 2 on a 4gb SD card with some persistence. I was able to boot to the SD card with legacy boot. I had to add the nomodeset option during boot up but was able to get all the way into the operating system with the display, touchscreen, wifi, bluetooth, etc working. The only thing that did not appear to work correctly was the touchpad for the mobile keyboard. (The one with the battery built in) As mentioned above the battery really didn't seem to last long at first and the machine was running incredibly warm with the cooling fan running constantly until I set it down to install updates. I left it on running on battery all night, about 5.5 hours, with the screen off, not connected to the keyboard. So it might be that the screen on is what is causing the high heat and the battery drain. Not sure if that helps anyone but figured I'd let people know. I got this since it seemed the best choice for a windows tablet that could work with the 'legacy' windows programs but was really hoping to be able to run some version of linux on it too. I couldn't find any way to run a version on it until i saw the above post.
    So Wifi does really work under Ubuntu 14.04? It is a great news! Which kernel is running? Even with the lastest 3.14 kernel, I was not able to make Wifi working under Debian. Or, does it use a proprietary driver?

That is unfortunate, that the HD Graphics 4200 and the touchpad do still not work very well, though... Hope it will be fixed soon!

Edit: I tried Ubuntu 14.04 Beta 2 from Usb (built with Unetbootin) without installing. But Wifi and Bluetooth were not working in the live session, they were not detected at all. Did you tweak something to get them working?

Edit 2: not better with the final version.
    Last edited by migntom; April 17th, 2014 at 08:08 PM.

Beans

In summary (in Debian with 3.14.0 kernel and Ubuntu 14.04 with 3.13 kernel), here are what are working for me (i3 version):

• Batteries (including the one in the mobile keyboard)
    • Hotplugging the tablet
    • Usb 3 port
    • Touchscreen
    • With nomodeset, screen is at full definition (1920 x 1080)
    • Camera and Webcam
    • Audio (speakers and jack)
    • Stylus (perfect with pressure sensitivity and palm detection)
    • µSd reader
    • Sleeping when closing lid
    • Volume control with buttons
    • Ubuntu can boot with Uefi and dualboot with Windows 8.1, but not Debian, which requires Legacy Boot

And what are not working:

• Wifi and Bluetooth (not detected at all, neither with lsusb, lspci, nor rfkill; Ndiswrapper is not working and says: "Hardware present: no")
    • TouchPad (detected with egrep -i 'synap|alps|etps' /proc/bus/input/devices as "Synaptics T Pad V 01.30", but cannot get it working...)
    • Screen orientation (accelerometer not detected?)
    • Change backlight intensity (cannot change it in System Settings... > Backlight & Lock; xbacklight does not affect the brightness)
    • Have to add nomodeset option to get someting on the screen (otherwise you will get a black screen ; without nomodeset, you have to connect your tablet to an additionnal screen, and you will get a picture on the connected screen). Cannot use the Hdmi port under nomodeset
    • Power button does not send any extinction signal

Other issues:

• Cpu overheating and overusing under Ubuntu, even when doing basic tasks (not present under Debian)
    • The interface animations (open/close the Dash, move to another workspace, window appearing or disappearing) are very/extremely slow and cost a lot of Cpu cycles
    • Play a movie with Vlc at fullscreen is using 100% Cpu and can freeze the screen (you have to do an Alt + F4)
    • Under Debian, with nomodeset, the default font size is really big (I do not know why). You have to set them to size 4, 5 or 6 to have a normal size

Don't know:

• 3G module (I did not choose this option)

I have a question... Anybody does know how to make the F key as default when pressing them, instead of the other function (mute, volume up/down, play/pause, search,...). For example, to do Alt + F4, I have to push Alt + Fn + F4. It annoys me a bit to have to press Fn when I want to use a Function key...
    Last edited by migntom; April 18th, 2014 at 01:52 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by migntom View Post
    In summary (in Debian with 3.14.0 kernel and Ubuntu 14.04 with 3.13 kernel), here are what are working for me (i3 version):

• Batteries (including the one in the mobile keyboard)
    • Hotplugging the tablet
    • Usb 3 port
    • Touchscreen
    • With nomodeset, screen is at full definition (1920 x 1080)
    • Camera and Webcam
    • Audio (speakers and jack)
    • Stylus (perfect with pressure sensitivity and palm detection)
    • µSd reader
    • Sleeping when closing lid
    • Volume control with buttons
    • Ubuntu can boot with Uefi and dualboot with Windows 8.1, but not Debian, which requires Legacy Boot

And what are not working:

• Wifi and Bluetooth (not detected at all, neither with lsusb, lspci, nor rfkill; Ndiswrapper is not working and says: "Hardware present: no")
    • TouchPad (detected with egrep -i 'synap|alps|etps' /proc/bus/input/devices as "Synaptics T Pad V 01.30", but cannot get it working...)
    • Screen orientation (accelerometer not detected?)
    • Change backlight intensity (cannot change it in System Settings... > Backlight & Lock; xbacklight does not affect the brightness)
    • Have to add nomodeset option to get someting on the screen (otherwise you will get a black screen ; without nomodeset, you have to connect your tablet to an additionnal screen, and you will get a picture on the connected screen). Cannot use the Hdmi port under nomodeset
    • Power button does not send any extinction signal

Other issues:

• Cpu overheating and overusing under Ubuntu, even when doing basic tasks (not present under Debian)
    • The interface animations (open/close the Dash, move to another workspace, window appearing or disappearing) are very/extremely slow and cost a lot of Cpu cycles
    • Play a movie with Vlc at fullscreen is using 100% Cpu and can freeze the screen (you have to do an Alt + F4)
    • Under Debian, with nomodeset, the default font size is really big (I do not know why). You have to set them to size 4, 5 or 6 to have a normal size

Don't know:

• 3G module (I did not choose this option)

I have a question... Anybody does know how to make the F key as default when pressing them, instead of the other function (mute, volume up/down, play/pause, search,...). For example, to do Alt + F4, I have to push Alt + Fn + F4. It annoys me a bit to have to press Fn when I want to use a Function key...

Ok I have the core i5 version, and can confirm most of these with ubuntu 14.04, with some notes. I was able to install ubuntu in eufi, and the external display is working. To install I had to check the nomodeset option at boot. Now it boots to a black screen. However, if I plug in an external monitor, it renders on the monitor just fine. Much faster than the built in display with nomodeset on. I was also able to get the backlight to dim on the built in monitor, I added acpi_backlight=vendor to my boot parameters before quiet boot.

Using powertop I was getting from 4 to 8 watts power drain while running cpufreq-indicator. So when using the external monitor, power usage was a lot better than with nomodeset and the built in display. I need to charge the tablet and mobility keyboard, but it looks like ~11 hours estimated time, possibly more.

TLDR: still working on getting internal display working w/o nomodeset. Works with external display. Wifi, trackpad, bluetooth, not working. Same working as in quotes.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Thyme676 View Post
    Ok I have the core i5 version, and can confirm most of these with ubuntu 14.04, with some notes. I was able to install ubuntu in eufi, and the external display is working. To install I had to check the nomodeset option at boot. Now it boots to a black screen. However, if I plug in an external monitor, it renders on the monitor just fine. Much faster than the built in display with nomodeset on. I was also able to get the backlight to dim on the built in monitor, I added acpi_backlight=vendor to my boot parameters before quiet boot.

Using powertop I was getting from 4 to 8 watts power drain while running cpufreq-indicator. So when using the external monitor, power usage was a lot better than with nomodeset and the built in display. I need to charge the tablet and mobility keyboard, but it looks like ~11 hours estimated time, possibly more.

TLDR: still working on getting internal display working w/o nomodeset. Works with external display. Wifi, trackpad, bluetooth, not working. Same working as in quotes.
    So, I just tested Ubuntu without nomodeset in an external monitor, and I confirm that graphics performance is way, way better than on the built-in screen with nomodeset. I could measure quantitatively the performances with glxgears:

• About 1000 frames/200 FPS with nomodeset, on the built-in screen
    • About 23000 frames/4600 FPS without nomodeset, on the connected monitor. You have to type "vblank_mode=0 glxgears" instead of only "glxgears" in the terminal, or else it will run at the same monitor refresh rate (60 FPS).

Animations are very smooth, and in addition, it seems to fix the overheating issue (much less Cpu usage at idle) and confirm what you are saying. If only there were not this displaying issue... Playing a movie at full screen now uses only about 5-15% Cpu, and only slightly more if you set the Cpu frequency at 600 MHz instead of 1.5 GHz with cpufreq.

So, in conclusion, the graphic chip is working very well, but cannot display anything on the built-in screen without nomodeset.
    Last edited by migntom; April 22nd, 2014 at 04:01 PM. Reason: 23000 frames, not 2300...

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast