Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Dell Venue Pro 8/11 with ubuntu?

Beans

Re: Dell Venue Pro 8/11 with ubuntu?

Touch is only for ARM IIRC.

Desktop 13.04 works well on Intel tablets, especially with the Unity interface

Beans

hi
    this tablet (venue pro 11) is a intel I3 based so it might be good to install the last version of ubuntu right ??
    if not...question you maybe can't answer now but is there any chance to get ubuntu or ubuntu touch working on delle venue pro really soon
    clearly i a am going to buy it but i really don't want to use windows, so i acn wait a little bit but...

Beans

Windows 8.1 is not that bad for tablets.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

hi!

i have two dell venue 8's planned for gifts(one for myself)....anyone having any success?

any chance of using 64 bit 13.10?

thanks!

KegHead

Beans

I found a you tube link where someone boots ubuntu.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WrRngZ4giE
    The description says:

"This is the new Dell Venue 8 Pro booting Ubuntu (13.10) from USB. As of now this is only working with frame buffer, no built in wlan, no sound, no camera. However the touchscreen is working."

My ubuntu skills are limited, anyone have any idea what "frame buffer" is or any ideas about the wifi? I get my OTG cable today and will spend the next few days trying to boot different linux flavors but any comments suggestions would be appreciated. I don't really care about sound or camera use. Just the wifi and touch and it sounds like the touch works.

Beans
    Distro

looks like we're making progress!

Beans
    Distro

hi!

i watched the video...wish there was more info.

KegHead

Beans

Ok Update. I have my dell venue 8 pro (got it from Walmart for $230). I also got my OTG cable to connect a USB drive. I figured this would not be easy but here are the problems I've seen so far.

1) UEFI, seems there are many threads on this but they are beyond my depth. From what I can gather 99% of UEFI things are 64 bit but I my understanding is that the Dell Venue 8 pro has Windows 8 32bit. This seems to cause a problem since apparently no flavor of linux has 32bit UEFI support.

2) Boot to USB, there seem to be a couple different ways. Since I can't seem to make a 32 bit UEFI bootible USB drive, any of the ways I try still result in me just going to windows.

I know you can hold volume down while it is turing on and it will take you to a bios/settings screen (with touch support, which is odd). There you can change the boot order and it will see the USB (not the SD card). But it never boots any of my linux images for reason # 1 above.

You can also hold shift (which I achieved with a virtual keyboard) and restart the system. This takes you to another menu which has the following options:
    * Exit and continue to windows 8.1
    * Use a device, use a USB drive, netowrk connection or windows recovery DVD
    * Trouble shoot, refresh or reset your PC, or use advanced tools
    * Turn off your PC

When I select "Use a device", it sees the USB drive and another device called "UEFI OS" which I assume is just the normal windows boot sequence. When I select my USB drive, it still just reboots into windows. Again I think this is due to problem # 1

Any help or suggestions you be appreciated.

Beans

I have a dell venue 8 pro. I have found out you can only boot a 32-Bit Uefi installer, pretty much all versions of Linux that are 32-Bit are not Uefi. Fedora 17 32-Bit would boot on my device, but, it would not go to the GUI. Fedora 19 has no 32-Bit Uefi support on there 32-Bit installer, they dropped support. Ubuntu has no 32-Bit Uefi installer, ask them to add support, they may listen.

Beans

If you need EFI help there is only one community that can help you.

We hackintoshers have been dealing with EFI since 2008 and we have a good command on it.

There is no community on the 'net that can do what we can do.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast