Thread: Sticky Notes: Note wiped!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Sticky Notes: Note wiped!

I put my laptop to sleep today and when I come back, a note that was not in active window or in edit/view mode had all of its text replaced by ...

/

and that was it. I found the .note backups in ~/.local/share/tomboy, but not the one I had! It's two blasted Welcome to Tomboy and some other note I deleted long ago.

Help? There's no undo, I didn't have all text selected in the note...nothing! All gone! Still shows the last creation date of 10/2/2013.

EDIT: Tried looking around and found https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ets/+bug/61570.

What a dangerous bug. I'm not out of disk space -- 17.3 GiB free.
    Last edited by Mk32; November 22nd, 2013 at 06:52 PM.

iMac G4 800MHz, Compaq E500, ThinkPad X200
    Classic Mac Networking v3.1 http://applefool.com/se30/
    "Linux assumes you know exactly what you are doing." -oboedad55, ubuntuforums.org

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Sticky Notes: Note wiped!

Quote Originally Posted by Mk32 View Post
    I put my laptop to sleep today and when I come back, a note that was not in active window or in edit/view mode had all of its text replaced by ...

/

and that was it. I found the .note backups in ~/.local/share/tomboy, but not the one I had! It's two blasted Welcome to Tomboy and some other note I deleted long ago.

Help? There's no undo, I didn't have all text selected in the note...nothing! All gone! Still shows the last creation date of 10/2/2013.

EDIT: Tried looking around and found https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ets/+bug/61570.

What a dangerous bug. I'm not out of disk space -- 17.3 GiB free.
    Only 17.3 GB free? Your pretty close to that 100% usage. See if you can clear up some additional space and then see is it wipes out any other notes you create, just could be that bug. I don't really use Tomboy notes but is there a way to save your notes? Did you save them and where unable to recover them? If there is a way to save them and you didn't you should be anyway cause what if the system doesn't unlock correctly when you come back to it? Everything gets lost anyway.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

It's a 25GiB partition. =/ 17.3GiB isn't even close to full.

Tomboy Notes is not the same thing as gnome-applet thingy.

Didn't save them. They weren't high priority but I guess they are now

"Linux assumes you know exactly what you are doing." -oboedad55, ubuntuforums.org

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I stopped using Tomboy because of it's note-losing ability. I'm not sure if it is a mono thing or some bugs that cause note wipes under certain conditions. I use zim instead, and it seems to be more stable. Plus, it's easier to back up the zim notebook file than a bunch of hidden Tomboy files.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Back when I used a Mac mini for my daily driver, I learned to not use Stickies. It's basically the same thing as Sticky Notes except it dates back to System 7.5 I think. You can back up the StickiesDatabase file which is in the System Folder (or somewhere in the /Library/Preferences folder in OS X IIRC) but I found it simply easier to create a .rtf notes file and toss it in the Dock. For my system I put the link in the menu bar.

The benefits in OS X was that it was easier to remember it when it was migration time. For Linux, the same thing applies, plus gedit has a nice undo and autosave features. (I tried putting gedit on my iMac G4, I got a shock of a lifetime re: 150MiB installation, and in the end it didn't work anyways. Sad because it reminds me a lot of Notepad++ on Windows, which is great for editing HTML by hand, which I do frequently.)

Anyways yes, warning to those out there - Do not trust Sticky Notes with anything. Tomboy also has issues. Just use a text file.

zim-wiki never lost anything!
    Windows assumes the user is an idiot.
    Linux demands proof.