Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: After many years of Linux, I am about to give up

Beans

After many years of Linux, I am about to give up

Ever since 2003 or so, I have only been using freeware and/or open source software. Ever since Vista came out, I have been using Ubuntu and then, after Unity/Gnome 3, Mint or Kubuntu and I have been pushing this religiously onto friends, colleagues, and students (e.g., I accept only odt docs etc.). But I am now at a point where I feel I just can't take it anymore and where it's becoming increasingly hard to defend Linux without looking like a moron. I never thought I'd say this but Windows (7) just works. I still prefer Kubuntu/Linux for the open source idea, its configurability and looks, its less annoying antivirus annoyances etc., but in general Windows 7 just works. Here's how/why:

- I am in a hotel in Europe right now that has a very weak wifi. The Windows partition on my Dell laptop gets that wifi without configuration or any problems whatsoever, the Kubuntu partition (13.10 64 bit) doesn't even see it and doesn't connect to eat even when manually set up;
    - I am listening to music from the hard drive or a mp3 player. VLC on Windows can play the music MUCH louder than VLC on Linux although on neither system, I did any special audio installation: Windows just does it better out of the box;
    - When I use the laptop on battery in airport, Kubuntu's power saving shuts down the wifi and even used to not power USB devices like my mouse so I have to sudo iwconfig power off all the time or generate some crap file in some crap user directory for this to work. Windows just works;
    - I have a Dell tower at home that had a RAID hard drive. The normal Ubuntu/Mint installers wouldn't even install on that without some super techie configuration stuff (and I am somewhat techie, use the command line all the time, and program in two functional programming languages). I could install Windows 7 on it NO PROBLEM: it recognized the set up and just did it. I ended up buying a new hard drive so I could continue to use Linux ...;
    - on both my Dell laptop (4 years old) and my Dell tower (4 year old) hibernate doesn't work and sleep doesn't work on the laptop. On Windows I do what every normal Windows/Mac user does. I just shut the lid and it hibernates;
    - in KDE at least, the time/date application has always failed to get the local time from a network server (a bug that's apparently been around for years); again, no such problem on Windows;
    - on my Dell laptop (Mint 15 KDE) I get no sound in browsers (Youtube etc.) and once a week, SMPlayer doesn't have sound without me resetting it to the right soundcard; no problem like that ever occurred on Windows.
    - my Dell laptop sometimes does not connect to, doesn't even recognize, external data projectors (esp. in setups where ceiling-mounted projectors are hooked up via a wall-mounted VGA plug or a VGA plugin in a presenter console/podium. It's not a hardware problem because of course on Windows it works (and that's the sole reason I had to have a Windows partition on this laptop) ...

Seriously, I have been a Linux fanboy like you wouldn't believe and an avid contributor on this forum, the linuxmint forums, and, e.g., Libreoffice's bugs list, but at what point does sticking to Linux say more about one's (open source) ideology (which I share, even on Windows I use not commercial software) than about what's really better? All of the above are stupid annoying problems that shouldn't be problems if Linux was as good as it says it is and, yes, as I have always said it is and man have I tried to fix this bs. What are ppl's views on this, this is a genuine question from a user with an identity crisis , who on the one hand wants to love Linux and prefer it over Windows but on the other hand has too much of a brain to see that all these things should work in Linux but don't so ... What are ppl's views on this?
    Last edited by kaesezeh; November 11th, 2013 at 09:36 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: After many years of Linux, I am about to give up

i can say that, all the linux experience comes down to hardware compatibility. unfortunatelly, linux has a very few proprietary drivers.
    on the other hand, you can give ubuntu unity a try. i think that unity is much better integrated into ubuntu than KDE.

Later edit:
    i really understand your frustration. I have an issue with the s-video output, on windows, it works fine but on ubuntu i only get a black & white image.
    Last edited by richardsdma; November 11th, 2013 at 10:11 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

it seems that what you wrote here is that hardware that comes with windows preloaded and hardware that is windows certified works well on windows. a shocker? i think not.

now if you wrote about the same and how it happened on your linux preloaded laptop (dell, HP, System76, zareason...) that would be different. or on linux certified hardware.

yes linux is still a bit more techy and windows also has some old bugs and not to mention holes (you obviously never hit them).

regarding sound - it is strange the way linux works. you have the main slider for sound and then there is CLI slider in alsamixer. both maxed out should give same output.

i have similar sound issue - found a workarround by reloading modules. i think it is a crappy implementation of driver for mychip. since all work working nicely for about a month after i installed 12.04. updates ruined it.

updates can be problematic - they just ruined my Kubuntu install. for no good reason.

on the other hand - two laptops one came linux preloaded one windows. the windows were preloaded and i created dualboot with Kubuntu- everything works out of the box. linux side boots faster but battery last maybe 30mins less. the linux preloaded one well what can i say. it just work.

i think if hardware supported Linux better or at least open the drivers code a lot of issues won't be present.

i wonder how the Steam Box with Steam OS (linux) will work in this regard? everythign smooth? updates breaking things? HD surround sound working well? hmm...
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Greetings,
    One of the nifty advantages of buying a Windows preinstalled computer other than the price breaks is that you have a free Windows license if needed. I keep a Win7 partition myself. Reason is to update my TomTom and do my taxes once a year. For everything else I use Ubuntu and it does absolutely everything that I need and does it well. Linux is a choice not a cult so it makes sense to me to use what works. I have a VW Jetta that I drive to work for the fuel milage and a Kia 4x4 that I bought to drive in snow in the mountains where I live. They both do the job and I'm not "anti" either one. That being said I don't try to parts out my VW to repair my Kia. OP makes no mention of hardware but no question that some hardware runs better out of the box with Linux than others. I personally try as best I can to support the hardware vendors that have Linux support on their website. When all is said and done you have to use what you have to use, no excuses needed.
    rrnbtter
    Life is good! Live it to the Ubuntu-ist!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

really it seems that Linux is really good is you are ready to "study" and stay on certain tasks you know all about and leave the rest
    playing HD videos on YT is a nightmare on Ubuntu because flash is so sh*te for us here; skype is often a nightmare; sound as you say resets itself all the time and i use an external soundcard so yeah not cool and thank God i do not use wifi coz i know it is a dicey affair on U

when i go to work and they ave windows and i can do all these things without checking 20 settings i too vacillate in my Linux Faith

Then i use windows for half an hour and want to run back to U

but as an all-rounder no doubt Windows wins ... it simply cannot be denied ... if you move around as you describe you do and have to connect with all types of hardware use what works best and for this you know the answer is W

having said all this i have only had Ubuntu on my only machine since 2009 ... and shall stay with it .... sadly faith is blind ::]]
    Last edited by shantiq; November 11th, 2013 at 02:31 PM.
    Linux is Latin for off-the-beaten-track [◄►] ● Is there Voodoo in the machine?
    ShanArt ● Mark as SolvedXmms

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

OP doesn't mention hardware but from the problems mentione they are driver releated in most part.

think "preaching" linux is tough try BSD or better yet MacOS - this one works nicely only on some limited hardware i believe... but i hear it works really well on those preinstalled macs
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans

I got into using Linux close to the same time as you. Seems like there are times when Linux works better than Windows, and times when it falls behind. Given the climate and history of the PC market, being "not Windows" is pretty much always going to be a liability in some respects. If you have to maintain some kind of fanboy position that "Linux is better than Windows in every possible way" in order to feel justified using it, I think that's probably not sustainable.

It's your computer. You get to run what you want with it; "defend Linux"? Why? Is someone forcing you to defend it?

Being idealogical is unpopular, particularly on these forums. But what's wrong with standing on principles? I know people who won't buy from mega-retailers (like Wal-mart, Amazon, Home Depot, etc) as a matter of principle (because they want to support small, local businesses, e.g.), even if it means they have to deal with higher prices or smaller selection.

Don't be ashamed to run Linux if you like it, even if you're doing it for idealogical reasons. And don't be ashamed to keep Windows on another partition, just in case .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have been a Linux fanboy like you wouldn't believe and an avid contributor on this forum, the linuxmint forums, a
    What is your username on the Mint forum?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by shantiq View Post
    playing HD videos on YT is a nightmare on Ubuntu because flash is so sh*te for us here
    I've seen this comment elsewhere on this forum. Personally I have absolutely no problem playing HD videos on YouTube with Firefox and FlashPlayer. I use the version of FlashPlayer that is in the "partners" repository, and my main computer has an i5 processor. But even on my little ASUS 1201n with a dual-core Atom and an NVIDIA Ion graphics adapter I can play the full 1080p version of Big Buck Bunny smoothly.

As others have said, it's all about the hardware. I bought this particular ASUS model because it had NVIDIA graphics which are well-supported in Linux. A little prior research can make a big difference when it comes to purchasing Linux-compatible hardware.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; November 11th, 2013 at 05:39 PM.
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by shantiq View Post
    really it seems that Linux is really good is you are ready to "study" and stay on certain tasks you know all about and leave the rest
    playing HD videos on YT is a nightmare on Ubuntu because flash is so sh*te for us here; skype is often a nightmare; sound as you say resets itself all the time and i use an external soundcard so yeah not cool and thank God i do not use wifi coz i know it is a dicey affair on U

I have never had a problem with YT or Skype and have been using a variety of machines.. Only issue was a hp netbook I installed lubuntu on for some friend, but it is a weak machine and using flash to watch 720p (or using flash at all) is pushing it, but Vista (which it came with) was much worse (took 10 minutes to boot and YT got into slow motion even for 480p) But even on this weak netbook I can watch a full length 720p bluray rip movie with smplayer locally. With vista it freezes in one minute.

But if you are having issue with flash on YT you may want to try
    http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/87011

I don't have any flash problem but I use it anyway, more efficient in terms of cpu usage. It is really sweet if you have a nvidia card and use gecko-mediaplayer as backend and configure gnome-mplayer to use vdpau.

I encountered some Skype problems at a machine at work, but that was eons ago, with 10.10
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; November 11th, 2013 at 06:26 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast