Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It takes many steps to log in

Beans

It takes many steps to log in

Maybe I'm doing something wrong. It takes quite a few button clicks to simply log into this Ubuntu forum (using Firefox on Ubuntu). Am I doing something wrong? I click the SSO button. Then another button. Then another. And another. And, finally, I'm logged in. Is it that way for you too?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Re: Maybe I'm doing something wrong in that it takes many steps to log in?

Logging in via SSO (Single Sign On) does take a few more steps, but, knowing the community, there is a reason for this. I'm thinking the SSO login can help log into more than just the forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

It happen's to me using firefox but when using chromium it logs me in automatically.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Quote Originally Posted by david98 View Post
    It happen's to me using firefox but when using chromium it logs me in automatically.
    That sounds like a feature of Chromium. I wonder if setting Firefox to remember cookies and passwords would help.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Moved to the Resolution Centre.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

I'm not sure what a "resolution center" is, but, here's a montage of the four steps: 1. Login with SSO 2. You are about to be redirected to your OpenID provider ... Continue 3. Personal Data Request ... Yes, log me in 4. Click here if your browser does not automatically redirect you Hmmm.... now that I created the montage, this section doesn't seem to have a way to upload it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Granite View Post
    I'm not sure what a "resolution center"
    This is a special section of the forums where admins will answer you. I'm not supposed to answer either Just wait a little bit and one of them will come to help you.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

Dunno why all of a sudden I can't upload images, but, here's the montage:

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: It takes many steps to log in

I've moved this into Forum Feedback and Help because this isn't a problem with your forum account and others might be able to help you if there is a browser setting that is causing you more steps than is necessary. Please have a look at my post here, which was in response to a similar query:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...1#post12811489

There are only 2 mouse-clicks involved if you are already logged into your Ubuntu One account with only a short redirect delay, and three clicks if you have to log into your Ubuntu One account. There will be more to do if your browser is not remembering your Ubuntu One login credentials, but I can't help you with that as I am not able to get any of my browsers not to remember my Ubuntu One details.

Please compare the login procedure in the above post for the old pre-SSO method of logging in. It was clunky in the extreme. SSO has improved things. Sysadmins have now resolved the issue where login was not being remembered between browser sessions. There is nothing more that can be done.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: It takes many steps to log in

On firefox I am now automatically logged in when I visit the forum, this change from the long-winded way occurred about two weeks ago, I think.

I can not remember whether or not I asked FF to remember the password, though I think I did, but I do have FF set to accept cookies, except those from third parties.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast