Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nothing but grief with Ubuntu 12.04

Beans

Nothing but grief with Ubuntu 12.04

Way back in 2008 I tried Ubuntu 9? and had a very miserable time with it and ditched it. I have tried again after finding a book and disk in a pound shop for Ubuntu 12.04. Should have known better than to buy it and install it as I have spent 3 miserable days since. Ubuntu has since been fully updated I should add here.
    Latest problem is that after 6 HOURS of trying to install Bitdefender and finally succeeding, I have lost the icon to access the Bitdefender setup screen on desktop-happened after updating it-(that is all i have managed to do with this Ubuntu 12.04-install and update installations!)
    I have tried everything to get access to Bitdefender back i can logically think of to no avail , and now I am getting constant crashes of Ubuntu.
    The fact i am posting this using Windows should tell you what getting Firefox to work properly right now is like!
    Restarts are of no help for any of these problems. The whole thing seems corrupted.
    How do I remove this program from my computer, please, because I have had enough-it is more fun going to the Dentist-the whole thing should come with a mental health warning-nothing has seemed to change since Ubuntu9-same old incomprehensible and impossible operating system in new clothes.!
    Last edited by Don1947; November 10th, 2013 at 08:51 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Nothing but grief with Ubuntu 12.04

Isn't BitDefender a Windows/Mac antivirus? Why are you trying to install that on Linux? Are you using Wine, perhaps?

(ah, I see they have released a deb and an rpm.)
    Last edited by buzzingrobot; November 10th, 2013 at 08:54 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Bitdefender is an anti-virus app. I have been using Ubuntu since 2005 and have been told repeatedly that you don't really need anti-virus apps in Linux. With the way Linux is designed it's pretty much a waste of time to write a virus for this platform due to the ACL's and the fact that a downloaded program is never able to execute until the user manually changes permissions of the program. This is why so few viruses exist for Linux.

Beans

Suggest you read this and this and this

Question remains-how do I get Ubuntu off my computer?
    Last edited by Don1947; November 10th, 2013 at 09:24 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Don..been running ubuntu since 8.04 (April 2008) right up to current 13.10 and never got one single virus, trojan, or any other malware...no anti virus of any kind every installed...and i do tons of web surfing...
    just saying linux isn't windows...i guess it's hard to break old habits, eh?

All i do is download and install GUFW (firewall gui) from the software center and turn it ON....that's it!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Why would you attempt to install bit defender this is linux and there are very few virus's use it on and off for 5 year or so and never had any problem if you are set on having some av software use clam to scan and delete any threats your comp may of picked up even with them they will not do you'r comp any harm this is not windows and doe's not freeze,crash it just work's like it should

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Quote Originally Posted by Don1947 View Post
    Suggest you read this and this and this

Yes, and the second paragraph in that first linked article seems to support my point. Let's look at this article more closely:

Like Unix systems, Linux implements a multi-user environment where users are granted specific privileges and there is some form of access control implemented. To gain control over a Linux system or to cause any serious consequences to the system itself, the malware would have to gain root access to the system.
    This can only be done if the user manually grants permissions, or gives root access, which users should never do where software comes from unknown sources.

If an infected binary containing one of the viruses were run, the system would be infected.
    This is why we don't run as root user.

The use of software repositories significantly reduces any threat of installation of malware, as the software repositories are checked by maintainers, who try to ensure that their repository is malware-free.
    This is why we don't run software from unknown sources.

The classical threat to Unix-like systems is vulnerabilities in network daemons, such as SSH and web servers. These can be used by worms or for attacks against specific targets.
    This is why we don't run world-facing servers unless we know exactly what we are doing and having some sort of training.

Linux servers may also be used by malware without any attack against the system itself, where e.g. web content and scripts are insufficiently restricted or checked and used by malware to attack visitors.
    Downloaded items are never made executable, i.e. they can't run. The user is required to manually make them executable before they can be run. Which is why we (a) don't run scripts from unknown sources, and (b) don't make anything executable unless we know exactly what it will do.

Older Linux distributions were relatively sensitive to buffer overrun attacks
    This is why we keep our software up-to-date.

As is the case with any operating system, Linux is vulnerable to malware that tricks the user into installing it through social engineering
    No operating system will ever be immune to social engineering, in my opinion. This is why we educate ourselves about the OS that we use rather than trusting that it will not perform undesired actions.

There are a number of anti-virus applications available which will run under the Linux operating system. Most of these applications are looking for exploits which could affect users of Microsoft Windows.
    Notice the last sentence there.

The following is a partial list of known Linux malware. However, few if any are in the wild, and most have been rendered obsolete by Linux updates or were never a threat.
    As I was saying..

As to the second linked article, viruses are a small subset of malware.. try to avoid equating the two.

As to the third linked article, please re-read the third sentence in that article.

The fact of the matter is that there are no active Linux viruses in the wild, it would be a waste of time to write/distribute one due to the way Linux is designed.

As to the question of how to remove it from your system, we'll need to know how it was installed.

Finally, don't let my bean count fool you, I've been using Linux as my sole OS since 2001 and have been using Ubuntu as my sole distro since 2005.
    Last edited by ardchoille422; November 10th, 2013 at 09:50 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Don1947 View Post

How did u install it? Wubi? Or dual boot.

Beans

Will someone please just tell me how to remove Ubuntu from my Computer-short of using a utility like" Killdisk."?
    Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Had to laugh reading the original post. I just spent the last 5 hours wrangling with a Win 7 machine infected with malware. The computer booted to a black screen and didn't seem to be able to go into safe mode. Eventually sorted it out but was reminded how Linux machines just work once set up and seem immune from security intrusions as long as they are updated
    Last edited by SuperFreak; November 10th, 2013 at 09:57 PM.
    MB: Asrock Extreme4-M CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @3.50GHz Memory: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 16.00 GB. GC On CPU HD4000 Platform: x86_64 Distribution:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast