Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Updated to 13.10, windows have no 'control' bar (e.g. min/max/close buttons)

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Beans
    3

    Updated to 13.10, windows have no 'control' bar (e.g. min/max/close buttons)

    Windows in most of many of my programs now have no frame that I can use to resize/close them. It also appears that I can't resize them manually, the frame where I'd click is gone. I've attached a photo of the behavior. There are three windows open here. You can see the top bar where I'd typically be able to control the windows is missing. Any advice?

    http://i.imgur.com/GQypvFR.png?1
    Last edited by bapoumba; November 10th, 2013 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Huge img > url

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    France.
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

    Re: Updated to 13.10, windows have no 'control' bar (e.g. min/max/close buttons)

    Hello and welcome to the forums.
    I've removed the large image and kept the url.
    Is the system up to date ? There are a few older bugs lying around.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

    | Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    United States
    Beans
    10
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

    Re: Updated to 13.10, windows have no 'control' bar (e.g. min/max/close buttons)

    Quote Originally Posted by qf-ryan-nr View Post
    Windows in most of many of my programs now have no frame that I can use to resize/close them. It also appears that I can't resize them manually, the frame where I'd click is gone. I've attached a photo of the behavior. There are three windows open here. You can see the top bar where I'd typically be able to control the windows is missing. Any advice?

    http://i.imgur.com/GQypvFR.png?1
    Looks like you've somehow lost your window manager, or it isn't running. The window manager is responsible for drawing the frame and titlebar for each window.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Beans
    3

    Re: Updated to 13.10, windows have no 'control' bar (e.g. min/max/close buttons)

    I checked my env and it says my XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=Unity, which I think means Unity is my window manager right now. So this appears to be some sort of Unity issue? Any idea how to troubleshoot this? Some windows (e.g. Google Chrome) have their tollbars...

    Also, in response to Bapoumba: The system is up to date, and thanks for editing my post to conform to local norms.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Beans
    3

    Re: Updated to 13.10, windows have no 'control' bar (e.g. min/max/close buttons)

    For future searchers: I followed the Unity/Compiz reset instructions here and this seems to have addressed the problem: http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/...-ubuntu-13-10/

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Beans
    3,509

    Re: Updated to 13.10, windows have no 'control' bar (e.g. min/max/close buttons)

    Does it happen often?
    Does log out/in solve.

    In the terminal try....
    Code:
    /usr/bin/gtk-window-decorator --replace & disown
    Ocassionally I will lose decorations which can be solved by the above command or
    reload unity with
    Code:
    setsid unity
    You can do as in the link you posted but then you will lose any
    customizations to compiz you may have done.
    After a release upgrade though, it may be wise to set compiz back to defaults.
    Last edited by stinkeye; November 11th, 2013 at 02:17 AM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    France.
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

    Re: Updated to 13.10, windows have no 'control' bar (e.g. min/max/close buttons)

    Quote Originally Posted by qf-ryan-nr View Post
    ..
    Also, in response to Bapoumba: The system is up to date, and thanks for editing my post to conform to local norms.
    Welcome!

    Quote Originally Posted by qf-ryan-nr View Post
    For future searchers: I followed the Unity/Compiz reset instructions here and this seems to have addressed the problem: http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/...-ubuntu-13-10/
    One additional recommendation if I may : mark your thread as solved (in the Thread Tools menu), thanks
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

    | Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •