Thread: Annoying Error when logging in to Forums

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Question Annoying Error when logging in to Forums

Just curious if anyone else is having this issue... I've noticed lately, every time I log into the forums using Google Chrome I am met with the following error...

This happens every time after the "Personal Data Request" page during login when I click the "Yes, log me in" button.

Once I click the "back" button from the error message screen I am directed back to the Ubuntu Forums main page and can continue navigating the site as usual from there. I can recreate the issue consistently with Chrome, but it does not appear when using Firefox.

I'm not aware of making any changes to any settings in Chrome lately and I didn't used to have this issue, so I'm not sure what might be causing the problem.
    Who's Awesome? You're Awesome.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Annoying Error when logging in to Forums

You posted in the Resolution Centre where only the OP and forum staff are able to post to threads, so you wouldn't get much feedback if others are experiencing this issue! I'll move this to FF&H. I haven't seen this with either Firefox or Chromium, so it will be useful to know if others are seeing this with Chrome.

Thread moved to Forum Feedback & Help.

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

No problem. I wasn't sure where to post this one. Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by Petro Dawg; November 10th, 2013 at 07:24 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Bump.

I've tried re-downloading, re-installing the Google Chrome Browser, and re-booting my system. I still have the error message shown on my first post when ever I first log in to these forums using Chrome. Anyone else experiencing this issue? If not, any ideas what might be going on and how I might fix it?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Petro Dawg View Post
    I've tried re-downloading, re-installing the Google Chrome Browser, and re-booting my system. I still have the error message shown on my first post when ever I first log in to these forums using Chrome. Anyone else experiencing this issue? If not, any ideas what might be going on and how I might fix it?
    I also use Chrome, amongst other browsers, and don't have this problem. Re-installing an application often doesn't help as removing an application doesn't remove the application's settings which are saved in your home directory. Have you tried clearing your browsing data from within Chrome?

Then there's always the options of creating a new user on your PC and logging on with the new account or removing/renaming existing settings so that Chrome creates a new profile and default settings when it's restarted. I would try to clear browsing data first though.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by PaulW2U View Post
    I also use Chrome, amongst other browsers, and don't have this problem. Re-installing an application often doesn't help as removing an application doesn't remove the application's settings which are saved in your home directory. Have you tried clearing your browsing data from within Chrome?

Then there's always the options of creating a new user on your PC and logging on with the new account or removing/renaming existing settings so that Chrome creates a new profile and default settings when it's restarted. I would try to clear browsing data first though.
    Thanks for the advice, it was most helpful. I even tried deleting the "google-chrome" folder in the /Home/.config directory and re-installing which still didn't work. Which makes me wonder where on earth (or my PC) is google chrome actually saving user settings? And I'm still not sure what I did to create the problem in the first place.

However, I finally figured out all that really needs to be done is to click the "Delete this User" in the settings window. It seems a new user doesn't have to be created since it will just replace the default user with a new default.

Delete this User Markup.png

Other than losing my bookmarks (not a big deal), everything appears to be working perfectly again.

Update:
    Once I signed into Google and synced my browser, my old bookmarks re-appeared.
    Last edited by Petro Dawg; November 17th, 2013 at 02:39 PM.