Thread: Skype sound notifications generates neverending scratchy white noise sound.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Skype sound notifications generates neverending scratchy white noise sound.

Hi,

I have Skype installed from the repos and it works well. However, there's one annoying problem. Every time there's a sound notification Skype starts generating a scratchy sound similar to white noise that never ends. I have to shut down Skype to get it to stop. Then Skype runs fine until there's another sound notification and the same thing happens again. If I turn off all sound notifications it works fine including making audio and video calls. If I install the version from the Skype site this problems goes away, but that version has other problems so I would like to figure out the notification sound problem in the version of Skype in the repos.

I'm running 13.10 on a Lenovo Thinkpad T430S.

Beans

Re: Skype sound notifications generates neverending scratchy white noise sound.

I have the same problem. I'm using the KDE desktop.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Don't know if this is related to your problem, but maybe so? I'm running Xubuntu 12.04.3.xxx When I start Skype and make a test call, it is very static-y... So, I've found a fix, but wondering why I have to do this every time???

I open Pulse Audio Volume Control (I put icon on bar so I could get to it easily!)... My "Built-In Audio" is set to "Analog Stereo Duplex". I change it to "Analog Stereo Output", then close the Pulse Audio Window. Making a Skype test call now, it still it static-y... So, re-open PA again, switch it back to "Duplex", close, and now Skype works fine.

Like I say, I have to do this nearly every time I run Skype... I don't use it often, but need it when I do!! PIA... Hope this helps, and anyone know how to make the settings that seem "permanent" work the same every time? TIA

dk

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Try this:

Code:
    gksu gedit /etc/pulse/default.pa
    and changing the line: load-module module-udev-detect
    to: load-module module-udev-detect tsched=0

Sound will be OK after reboot.
    $> cd /pub
    $> more beer