Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Design: Beating on a Dead Horse

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Ubuntu Design: Beating on a Dead Horse

Ok, so I'm sure this has been discussed over and over again, but I did a forum search and couldn't find anything. I'm guessing because the threads were deleted, as they we're looked at as flaming/trolling(whatever the term was). This is not my intention. I just want to have a conversation.

After having made the decision to switch to Linux completely, I've tried 5 of the major distros and love Ubuntu. Great stuff.
    But I think there is one thing that the vast majority agrees on. This operating system is just terrible looking. Just horrendous. I think the colors alone break so many marketing and design rules. You don't use orange and purple anywhere near each other, and you certainly don't use them as your main colors. This is just one aspect of the design that needs to be fixed. This isn't just opinion. These things are the rules as design is concerned.

Does the Ubuntu staff need help here?

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Re: Ubuntu Design: Beating on a Dead Horse

This is linux, not windows. Don't like the color? Change it. Don't like the desktop? change it. No one is stuck with what comes out of the box

Beans
    Distro

It's been quite some time since I've used Windows. And thanks for replying, but maybe I should have been more specific in what I was saying. I'm discussing Ubuntu's out-of-the-box design in itself, not Linux design. I love Linux. This topic is about Ubuntu's design.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dannymichel View Post
    Does the Ubuntu staff need help here?
    May be you should contact Canonical directly as nothing is going to change by discussing it here - http://design.canonical.com/

Although not really an Ubuntu user any longer as I use Kubuntu and Xubuntu now, I really like the colour scheme that has been given to the Ubuntu desktop.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by PaulW2U View Post
    May be you should contact Canonical directly as nothing is going to change by discussing it here - http://design.canonical.com/

Although not really an Ubuntu user any longer as I use Kubuntu and Xubuntu now, I really like the colour scheme that has been given to the Ubuntu desktop.
    That's actually a good idea. Maybe I should contact them. Thanks, but I did want to get a conversation going here. I also wanted to clarify that while I, like the vast majority, hope it does change, it is not my intention to petition Ubuntu's staff to change things through this thread.

Beans
    Distro

Orange and Black (and yes the Purple) has given it a very distinct look which is a good thing, i think...do you want it to look exactly like windows or mac? The colors give it a very distinct image...
    Actually, i think (looks aside which i think is fine) ubuntu is one of the most polished, professional looking linux distros out there...

Unity and the dash is very much mac-like in the concept...which as a former mac user (after i dumped windows but before discovering linux) i enjoy very much...
    Last edited by craig10x; November 10th, 2013 at 03:58 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    Orange and Black has given it a very distinct look which is a good thing, i think...do you want it to look exactly like windows or mac?
    Actually, i think (looks aside which i think is fine) ubuntu is one of the most polished, professional looking linux distro out there...

Unity and the dash is very much mac-like in the concept...which as a former mac user (after i dumped windows but before discovering linux) i enjoy very much...
    Valid point, but bright red and hot pink would also give it a 'distinct look'. Doesn't mean you should do it. Looking exactly like OS X or Windows would be a terrible thing. Other than the colors, it still leaves much to be desired, but the rest isn't that bad.

Beans
    Distro

I also wanted to clarify that while I, like the vast majority, hope it does change, it is not my intention to petition Ubuntu's staff to change things through this thread.
    How have you measured this majority?

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    Actually, i think (looks aside which i think is fine) ubuntu is one of the most polished, professional looking linux distro out there...
    Agreed.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by PaulW2U View Post
    How have you measured this majority?
    I've done mt own 'measuring' as well as googling What I've 'measured' is an undisputable fact.
    I can also tell that this thread is not going in the direction i'd hoped it would despite my disclaimer.
    Last edited by dannymichel; November 10th, 2013 at 04:02 PM.

Beans

[...]
    I just want to have a conversation.
    [...]
    I think there is one thing that the vast majority agrees on. This operating system is just terrible looking. Just horrendous. I think the colors alone break so many marketing and design rules. [...]
    Well, throwing out moderately rude assertions like "terrible" and "horrendous" are going to provoke strong reactions. You are, perhaps unintentionally, accusing Ubuntu users of having bad taste and wasting their valuable time contributing to an ugly project. Perhaps a more neutral tone would generate less emotional conversation.

Okay, so you don't like the visual design.
    Aside from colors, what elements of the design do you dislike?

My in-laws, professional artists and very conscious of colors, style, and visual design, use Ubuntu. They are somewhat positive about the colors and visual presentation, which is quite an achievement - they *notice* those! They find Ubuntu easy to navigate and use.

I think the rather conservative estimate (download.ubuntu.com) of 20 Million Ubuntu users is an adequate disproval of your "vast majority" claim. You are, of course, free to dislike anything you wish...but you currently have no credibility to claim that your taste and preferences match the majority, nor that those tastes and preferences are relevant to the wider acceptance of Ubuntu.

Happily, it's easy to get such credibility. Do some design testing. The Ubuntu designers do, and publish many of their results on their blog ( http://design.canonical.com )
    Last edited by ian-weisser; November 10th, 2013 at 04:29 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast