Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: How was it tested?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: How was it tested?

Quote Originally Posted by lykwydchykyn View Post
    Yeah; if anything, demanding that developers work harder to make the software meet our needs -- and then give it to us for free -- is slavery.
    Yes, huge mistake on my part.

I would assume some developer ran that address book app before committing the code. But it probably worked for him because of some assumption or previous configuration unique to his system.

But here's the kicker; supposedly 20 Million people use Ubuntu. If that's true, than presumably there are at least a few tens of thousands running 13.10 and using that contact app. Yet nobody reported this as a bug. To me that's a bigger head-scratcher than why a developer didn't find this problem.
    I would be more willing to believe some people ran the app, assumed it was broken and found another app to do the job because they didn't have the time or the inclination to report the bug. The fact that there was no bug report means that (a) no one runs the app, or (b) no one was willing to file a bug report. I feel that developers can't just assume that users will file bug reports, this assumption is based on wishful thinking. But, that's just my opinion.

I'm willing to bet that, apart from some Canonical employees, every Ubuntu developer was an Ubuntu (or other Linux distro) user who decided to get involved and make it better. That's how open source works. Does every user have to step up and contribute? Nope. But if they can't be bothered, what obligation does anyone else have to bother?
    Member: Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by ardchoille422 View Post
    Red Hat and Debian include older software, yes, but the reason for that is because they do more extensive testing before sending the release out the door.
    Red Hat's RHEL and Debian are Stable not as free of bugs as they are because they use old software. They get that way because the code base is frozen and the only permitted changes, as much as possible, are patches to remedy bugs and security issues *reported by users*. RH does backport new capabilities into the RHEL kernel.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post
    Red Hat's RHEL and Debian are Stable not as free of bugs as they are because they use old software. They get that way because the code base is frozen and the only permitted changes, as much as possible, are patches to remedy bugs and security issues *reported by users*. RH does backport new capabilities into the RHEL kernel.
    No, they're not free of bugs, but they have undergone more thorough testing than does Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro

I have an idea. Canonical could do an anonymous poll and find out how many people actually file bug reports when they encounter a problem with an app. I'm betting that metric is much smaller than most people assume.

Beans
    Distro

No, they're not free of bugs, but they have undergone more thorough testing than does Ubuntu.

You missed the point.

They reduce bugs by, first, trying to avoid the introduction of new code, and, second, patching bug and security issues *reported by users*. These are the same users you think are being suckered to work for free.

Beans
    Distro

I don't use contacts or an address book, so I had to go looking for it. When I click "Contacts" on the panel dropdown, I'm shown Thunderbird's address book. That's where I'd stop if I wanted to do contacts. Wouldn't surprise me if other folks stop there, too.

Obviously, a missing entry field is an error that should have been caught. Equally obviously, bug reports will increase if they are generated and sent with little ot no user intervention. That will also result in flooding the system with duplicates and unecessary reports. Someone will need to spend time pruning them rather than fixing code.

The OP's remarks about app launching do not amount to a bug rpeort, but a complaint about a design he doesn't like. In addition, he's confusing finding an application with launching an application. The intended way to find an app in Gnome 2 was to move through the menu cascade. The intended way to find an app in Unity is to tap the Windows key and search for it. Both designs have their good points and their bad points. In both Gnome 2 and Unity, users are expected to pin the icons of frequently used applications to, in the former, a panel, or to the Launcher, in the latter.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post
    I don't use contacts or an address book, so I had to go looking for it. When I click "Contacts" on the panel dropdown, I'm shown Thunderbird's address book. That's where I'd stop if I wanted to do contacts. Wouldn't surprise me if other folks stop there, too.
    Good point. But, on the other side of the coin I didn't even know there was a Contacts menu item in the messages menu until someone mentioned it a few posts back.

Beans

I have an idea. Canonical could do an anonymous poll and find out how many people actually file bug reports when they encounter a problem with an app. I'm betting that metric is much smaller than most people assume.
    I'm sure it's quite small. Probably in the hundreds at best.

Open source is kind of like public television. Most viewers probably don't support public TV financially. But the ones who don't have to accept that it is what it is. You can't have it both ways.

Like you said, most people probably saw the bug and either ignored it or chose another app. They aren't obligated to report a bug, but they can't expect better if they don't participate in the ecosystem.

Beans
    Distro

I went ahead and reported the bug, it can be found here:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...s/+bug/1249947

I haven't reported a bug in years, I hope I did everything correctly.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

It may be something that isn't clear to the op, but I found a way to add home and work addresses to Contacts, with only a couple of clicks. Click the Edit menu in the upper right, then click New Details in the lower task bar. See the screenshot.

One thing I did find, on my system running Trusty, the app crashed when trying to remove a contact.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast