Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ralink RT3290 / HP Pavilion G6

Beans

Re: Ralink RT3290 / HP Pavilion G6

@darin.hurst

Just download the 3.12 kernel from kernel.org, unpack it to /usr/src, get into the folder and compile it to debian package (headers and image).
    Steps in terminal:

sudo apt-get install kernel-package libncurses5-dev fakeroot wget bzip2 build-essential
    sudo -s
    cd /usr/src
    wget -vc https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/ker...ux-3.12.tar.xz
    tar -Jxvf linux-3.12.tar.xz
    cd linux-3.12
    fakeroot make-kpkg clean
    fakeroot make-kpkg --initrd --append-to-version=-custom kernel_image kernel_headers

Sit back or go for a coffee, it will take a while ...
    The new deb packages will be at /usr/src

Install them and reboot the system into the new kernel by choosing the apropriate option from the bootloader menu.
    Test everything and if it is good then you can put that kernel package as held by using aptitude, so not to get overwritten by future updates.

That helped me after 3 days of struggling.

Beans

I apologize for being so clueless to all of this but I do appreciate the help. Could someone explain the following 2 paragraphs for me? Thanks again.

and get into the folder and compile it to debian package (headers and image).

Install them and reboot the system into the new kernel by choosing the apropriate option from the bootloader menu.
    Test everything and if it is good then you can put that kernel package as held by using aptitude, so not to get overwritten by future updates.

squakie is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

you may want to read further in that page (if you haven't already) as there are more things there for errors during the build. Remember that most of the terminal commands given will require sudo to avoid permissions errors.

could you post back a screenshot showing the errors? (the tool is aptly named "Screenshot).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I missed cssvb94 reply above, so I would suggest following it. What I don't know is how much was already done in your trying to get this to work, and if you'd be better off with a fresh re-install and then doing as they suggest. It's hard to know where some little thing may have been changed that has a large impact. So - just my suggestion only - if you have any data you need to back up, do so, then use the install media and reinstall, being sure to mark your ubuntu partition(s) for reformatting first. Then:

EDIT: Connect your PC via a hardwire to your internet access point, then:

sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade

then follow cssvb94 post from above - that way you know you are starting at a "clean slate".
    Last edited by squakie; November 12th, 2013 at 04:10 AM.

Beans

Thanks. I'm going to give i ta try. What I don't understand is the line that says compile it to a debian package.

Also, the last step says reboot system into kernel from bootloader menu.

Could someone explain that? I've never had any knowledge of linux, but eager to learn.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I haven't ever done what cssvb94 has given instructions for, but this is my interprettation to answer you questions - I could be wrong.

At the end of the process it apparently creates new .deb packages in /usr/src. You would need to search that folder to see the new ones, then just click on each and it should start up the process (perhaps software center, perhaps something else) to install each - you will probably only need to acknowldege with an ok or install or some such thing.

reboot the system into the new kernel by choosing the apropriate option from the bootloader menu.
    This would be the grub menu you get at boot time. EDIT: Select the "Advance Options" ( or some such wording) and press enter, then on the next menu select the 3.12 kernel option and press enter.

Hopefully this is correct. You may want to wait and see if anyone else posts back with an answer. I'm just posting what I would try.
    Last edited by squakie; November 12th, 2013 at 07:08 PM.

Beans

@squakie
    Hi, that's exactly what I meant.

@darin.hurst
    When the compilation is over and without errors, two deb packages with names slimilar to:
    linux-headers-3.12.0-custom.deb
    linux-image-3.12.0-custom.deb
    will be in /usr/src
    Go to that folder using the file browser and just double click on each of them, the associated application will start and propmpt for credentials and installs it.
    Reboot the system and as squakie said, use "Advanced options" on the grub bootloader menu to select it.
    If you don't see the menu, at system start press shift key just before the system starts loading.

Beans

This is getting to be quite entertaining trying to get this going. I can't even find a way to gain access to /usr/src. If kernel 3.12 will solve the problem, wouldn't it be easier to write it in to the installation script?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Tyr this from a terminal window:

sudo nautilus <press enter>

It will ask for a password - just enter your normal password - it won't show on the screen.

This will start the file manager in super user mode. Just click on "Computer" then click on "usr" then click on "src". You should see the file structure there as mentioned. Since you are acting as super user you can double-click on each of those files mentioned.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cssvb94 View Post
    @darin.hurst

Just download the 3.12 kernel from kernel.org, unpack it to /usr/src, get into the folder and compile it to debian package (headers and image).
    Steps in terminal:

sudo apt-get install kernel-package libncurses5-dev fakeroot wget bzip2 build-essential
    sudo -s
    cd /usr/src
    wget -vc https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/ker...ux-3.12.tar.xz
    tar -Jxvf linux-3.12.tar.xz
    cd linux-3.12
    fakeroot make-kpkg clean
    fakeroot make-kpkg --initrd --append-to-version=-custom kernel_image kernel_headers

That helped me after 3 days of struggling.
    I went through everything in this post. Everything seemed to be gong smoothly. I installed the 2 deb packages and restated. It now restarts in terminal mode. Any ideas?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast