Thread: Thunderbird broke.

Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Unhappy Thunderbird broke.

Hi guys:

I've been battling a problem for the last few weeks with Thunderbird 24.1.0. I have reinstalled 12.04.3 LTS 3 times now as that seems to be the only way to fix the problem. The problem... Thunderbird works ok for awhile (few days or so) then all of a sudden when I go to write an email in Thunderbird I have problems. The write window will come up and I am able to add recipients and a subject. When I go to type the message however nothing happens no text nothing. Also I use several made up templates to send emails out on. If I look at them in the template folder they are ok. But when I open them all the text and other things in the message area are gone and I can not type there either. I have searched and searched for the problem but have not found any matching cases. But it does seem that Thunderbird has been a problem of late. Just do not know where to start looking for the problem. Is it an update,video drivers, or perhaps an application I have installed? Just do not know where to start. I really need my email. Any help is appreciated.
    Why aren't you on #ubuntuforums on
    Answers and Howtos

Re: Thunderbird broke.

I would start by exporting all your addressbook to a file for backup, to restore later and renaming the hidden .thunderbird folder in your /home as .thunderbirdOLD. Don't delete it as it will have all your emails and settings which can be copied back later.

I suspect a corruption somewhere in your profile which hopefully this will overcome by making a new profile. If that works you can get all your mail and contacts back again quickly
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 14.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo

Southern California
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Thunderbird broke.

I've been having this problem for months. Just upgraded to the latest Ubuntu, and I'm STILL having it. A corrupted TB profile didn't occur to me--that's a good idea. Thanks for the tip!
    "He who lives by the penguin, dies by the penguin."
    (at least 'till he figures out what he's doing!)