Thread: No video on new Ratel

Beans

No video on new Ratel

Just took my new Ratel out of the box, plugged everything in, and no video. The computer itself appeared to be coming up - the fan was going and lights were blinking. But the led on the monitor that indicates a signal didn't even come on. Without a monitor, it's kind of hard to diagnose much.

One thing that may be of interest, I bought this with an nVidia video card, instead of just using the onboard video. This is the first time I have ever done that. Unfortunately, the only monitor I have available at the moment is an old Benq that has an old VGA connector on the end. There was no VGA port on the nVidia card, so I plugged it into the motherboard.

If that is the problem, can I just find a VGA - DVI cable and plug this monitor into the card? I know that to take full advantage of the video card I will need something a little newer, but for now, will that work?

Thanks.

Alex

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: No video on new Ratel

Is the monitor connected to the correct video output? Try switching the monitor input plug between onboard and nvidia output to see if any of the cards give an output.
    Cheers,PRShah
    Make your own: Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Mythbuntu All-in-One Live DVD
    "I never make mistakes; I thought I did, once.. but I was wrong."

Beans

OK, it was as we both suspected - I had to connect the monitor to the video card, not the on board video. I guess those ports are available if I move a jumper or something, but for now they are just not there.

When I turned on the machine, there was no installation script, it just came straight to a login screen. Just <enter> dropped me into a guest account, and I cannot make an administrative account without giving it an administrative password, and since I haven't set one up, nothing works - including typing in nothing. I tried dropping into recovery mode but I couldn't set a root password there, either. Preinstalled Ubuntu is very nice, but I need some way to set up an account.

Beans

I'm marking the thing as solved, since the video problem is solved. I still can't get the thing to work properly, which is very frustrating for a preloaded machine, but that's life.