Thread: QQ chat software for UBUNTU

Beans

QQ chat software for UBUNTU

Please let me know if I am posting this in the wrong forum. I'm not sure where it should go.

I have just installed UBUNTU 12.04 LTS on my wife's computer. She is Chinese and has been using QQ software (on her Windows box) to chat with family and friends back home in China.
    I see that the UBUNTU software manager has QQ, but she complains that the version is too old.
    Does anyone know how I can get a recent version of QQ for her to use under UBUNTU?
    Last edited by Bill_Hare; November 8th, 2013 at 06:48 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: QQ chat software for UBUNTU

I think Empathy, the default IM app in Ubuntu supports QQ.

Before attempting to add a new account in Empathy make sure that the package telepathy-haze is installed, otherwise install it and then restart Empathy.

Beans

Re: QQ chat software for UBUNTU

http://wiki.ubuntu.org.cn/QQ

This is in Chinese, maybe your wife can read and explain it to you (google translate kind of sucks)

Basically, the opening says you should use webqq instead of a standalone client (because the Linux client doesn't work anymore, there is a link somewhere to write complaint letters to QQ) So you can ignore most of the things that follow.Then it says if you have decent hardware and cpu using the Windows client in Wine would work also, for details see part 2 of the document.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; November 9th, 2013 at 01:04 AM.