Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Trying 13.10 on Asus 1005pe

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Beans
    6

    Trying 13.10 on Asus 1005pe

    Hi:


    I'm trying to install 13.10 on a Asus 1005pe via USB stick.


    I would like to have W7 and Ubuntu, and choose the boot as as per my decission.


    For this reason I'm choosing the option "Install Ubuntu inside Windows7" in the installation menu.When I press "continue", the laptop boots and strangly starts again the welcome screen where you chose "Try Ubuntu" or "Install Ubuntu"


    What am I doing wrong?

    Thanks in advance

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    ɹǝpun uʍop
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

    Re: Trying 13.10 on Asus 1005pe

    Do you mean install Ubuntu alongside Windows? Inside Windows is not a dual-boot, it is a Wubi install. Stay away from that as it has been phased out.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Beans
    6

    Re: Trying 13.10 on Asus 1005pe

    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Do you mean install Ubuntu alongside Windows? Inside Windows is not a dual-boot, it is a Wubi install. Stay away from that as it has been phased out.
    Yes, I mean alongside Windows. I would like dual-boot. What is the option that I need to chose?


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    ɹǝpun uʍop
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

    Re: Trying 13.10 on Asus 1005pe

    Hmm, alongside may have been left out of 13.10. Not sure, don't use it. DO NOT install inside Windows. Not what you want (Wubi install as mentioned and shouldn't be there anymore).

    Choose 'Something Else' and install manually. You can create it there, but do you have the free space ready to install Ubuntu to? Have you backed up your personal data? Do you have a plan?

    You will see the Windows partition when you get to the partitioning window (it is Gparted partitioner) so just don't touch it. It will be an NTFS partition. For Ubuntu you need / and a /swap partition (the /swap only need to be 2Gb).

    Strange how the 'install alongside' option is not listed, though. You are using the desktop install disk and not a Wubi disk by mistake? Just to make sure ...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Beans
    6

    Re: Trying 13.10 on Asus 1005pe

    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Hmm, alongside may have been left out of 13.10. Not sure, don't use it. DO NOT install inside Windows. Not what you want (Wubi install as mentioned and shouldn't be there anymore).

    Choose 'Something Else' and install manually. You can create it there, but do you have the free space ready to install Ubuntu to? Have you backed up your personal data? Do you have a plan?

    You will see the Windows partition when you get to the partitioning window (it is Gparted partitioner) so just don't touch it. It will be an NTFS partition. For Ubuntu you need / and a /swap partition (the /swap only need to be 2Gb).

    Strange how the 'install alongside' option is not listed, though. You are using the desktop install disk and not a Wubi disk by mistake? Just to make sure ...
    You are right, this option have been left out of 13.10.
    I'm downloading 12.04.3 LTS right now.

    Thanks for your support!!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Belgium (Ghent)
    Beans
    481
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

    Re: Trying 13.10 on Asus 1005pe

    If you just have the message to install IN Windows of to remove Windows, than there are already 4 partitions on your drive.
    Start de live-dvd/usb and open gParted (PartitionManager)
    Take a screenshot of that and post it here.
    Than we can see what's on the partitions.
    Dutch speaking; understand English, writing is a bit difficult. Member of: http://forum.ubuntu-nl.org
    be Open be Free be Ubuntu Reg. User #485479
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander - Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Beans
    6

    Re: Trying 13.10 on Asus 1005pe

    Quote Originally Posted by heir4c View Post
    If you just have the message to install IN Windows of to remove Windows, than there are already 4 partitions on your drive.
    Start de live-dvd/usb and open gParted (PartitionManager)
    Take a screenshot of that and post it here.
    Than we can see what's on the partitions.

    Yes, you are right. I have 4 partitions. They came by default with the laptop.



    The unknown one is a fasboot of Asus.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Trying 13.10 on Asus 1005pe

    So, 'Inside Windows' - aka Wubi is your only option, unless you are ready to get rid of a partition. Wubi is not the best choice, and may not work reliably well, but, it shouldn't hurt trying.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Belgium (Ghent)
    Beans
    481
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

    Re: Trying 13.10 on Asus 1005pe

    I don't use Windows, so you must know where Windows is on your drive.
    sda4 is a unknown partition of 17MB. Is there something on there? Look with nautilus (Filemanager) of there is something on. If not, you can delete that partition. (maybe it is used by BIOS "Boot Booster". I read that somewhere, but don't know what that is, so look for it in your manual or via internet)
    Edit: I find something about Boot Booster: http://blog.pew.cc/blog/eee+PCs+Boot+Booster/ and: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dR5eJP43vTk

    You can also delete the Recovery Partition, BUT: !!!! you must first backup that data on a extern drive (or cd/dvd) And if you don't have a RecoveryDVD, than make one first before you change the partitions/install Ubuntu.!!!!
    And make a backup of al your stuff on the windows partition that is not from the system (docs, photo's, image, and other data)!!!

    If you delete one of them than you have only 3 partitions left.

    Than you you choose the partition with Windows on (I think it is the sda2 but the sda1 is very big and that is strange because the 'loader' is on that one. So take your time to find out what's on each partition).
    You can then reduce that partition with some GB (min. 25GB) for Ubuntu.
    if you have reduced the partition where Windowssystem is on, than you have a space that is empty. Change that first to a Extended partition and make in that Extended partition 2 Logical partitions, 1 for / (25GB or more) and 1 for a swap (RAM size + 500MB or so. It's not needed so much if you have enough RAM because he had enough space then).
    Normally in the new version of the installer you can't choose for a Extended partition but directly for a Logical partition, so he make the Extended partition itself.
    Last edited by heir4c; November 9th, 2013 at 01:48 AM.
    Dutch speaking; understand English, writing is a bit difficult. Member of: http://forum.ubuntu-nl.org
    be Open be Free be Ubuntu Reg. User #485479
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander - Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    ɹǝpun uʍop
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

    Re: Trying 13.10 on Asus 1005pe

    Don't go for Wubi, as I already mentioned. It is being phased out and, even though it is presented as an option, really shouldn't be there.

    Yes, you need to make some space by removing a partition and leaving free space for Ubuntu (or putting the existing partitions in an extended partition so all up you have less than four) and I would recommend 12.04 LTS as a great starting point for a beginner in any case.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •