Thread: Will the latest kernel auto update work while using the latest AMD beta drivers?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question Will the latest kernel auto update work while using the latest AMD beta drivers?

Hi All,

The Ubuntu Update Manager has Kernel updates. I am currently using the latest Catalyst Beta drivers from AMD (3.11).
    So the question is...
    1) Do I need to uninstall the non-repo driver first; then update via Update Manager; then reinstall the latest and greatest from AMD?
    Or
    2) Can I just update without worrying about the AMD driver?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Will the latest kernel auto update work while using the latest AMD beta drivers?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Will the latest kernel auto update work while using the latest AMD beta drivers?

Personally, I'd recommend the first.

If you installed outside the package management system, the package management system will not know to reinstall the driver. This can lead to sorts of excitement, including being dropped to the shell with no GUI. I'd uninstall the driver, rename Xorg.conf as a backup, run the kernel upgrades and reinstall the driver when you get done.

If you install the driver from the repo, you don't need to do all that horsing around.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    Personally, I'd recommend the first.

If you installed outside the package management system, the package management system will not know to reinstall the driver. This can lead to sorts of excitement, including being dropped to the shell with no GUI. I'd uninstall the driver, rename Xorg.conf as a backup, run the kernel upgrades and reinstall the driver when you get done.

If you install the driver from the repo, you don't need to do all that horsing around.
    Most drivers nowadays support DKMS (for example, I'm pretty sure the Nvidia driver is DKMS aware), plus Xorg.conf is not used anymore by X, at least not by default.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

If you make a .deb of it and install it that way, dkms will work. That's using the package management system. Using the .run can cause problems.

No, xorg.conf is not used by default. But one is created by initializing the AMD driver.
    Last edited by QIII; November 9th, 2013 at 01:13 AM.

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks everyone for your input but unfortunately I only got Gorditoronto's response on my email notification so as soon as I got home I just updated! LoL
    I just read all your views now.

So far it looks like it is working. Should I reinstall the driver anyway to play safe?

Hmmm... I'll run Unigine Heaven and Valley tests to confirm...
    Last edited by DanglingPointer; November 9th, 2013 at 06:33 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

If you followed instructions that had you create a .deb file, you are probably good.

To be sure, would you please post the results of

Code:
    fglrxinfo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    If you followed instructions that had you create a .deb file, you are probably good.

To be sure, would you please post the results of

Code:
    fglrxinfo
    Its a Radeon HD 5870

Code:
    :~$ fglrxinfodisplay: :0  screen: 0
    OpenGL vendor string: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
    OpenGL renderer string: ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series
    OpenGL version string: 4.3.12614 Compatibility Profile Context 13.25.18