Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't rebuild package catalog

Beans

Can't rebuild package catalog

HI

When I try to rebuild the package catalogue (using the propmpts Ubuntu puts up) I get the following error

installArchives() failed: (Reading database ... (Reading database ... 5% (Reading database ... 10% (Reading database ... 15% (Reading database ... 20% (Reading database ... 25% (Reading database ... 30% (Reading database ... 35% (Reading database ... 40% (Reading database ... 45% (Reading database ... 50% (Reading database ... 55% (Reading database ... 60% (Reading database ... 65% (Reading database ... 70% (Reading database ... 75% (Reading database ... 80% (Reading database ... 85% (Reading database ... 90% (Reading database ... 95% (Reading database ... 100% (Reading database ... 341929 files and directories currently installed.)
    Removing libxml-libxml-perl ...
    /var/lib/dpkg/info/libxml-libxml-perl.prerm: 11: /var/lib/dpkg/info/libxml-libxml-perl.prerm: update-perl-sax-parsers: not found
    dpkg: error processing libxml-libxml-perl (--remove):
    subprocess installed pre-removal script returned error exit status 127
    No apport report written because MaxReports is reached already
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    libxml-libxml-perl
    Error in function:

Thanks for any help available

Mike
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; November 8th, 2013 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Moved to own thread and edited for clarity.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Can't rebuild package catalog

Welcome mikeavision. Your post has been moved to its own thread and edited for clarity as if the solution on the other thread didn't work for you, you don't have the same problem.

Please refrain from hijacking threads. Post a new one. There's plenty of room here.

Beans

I should have added perhaps, I can't download any software because of this package catalogue problem. I badly want to download the app which changes the interface to classic - who thought Unity was a good idea???? Unless you know the name of something you can't find it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

If you reboot the machine, at the login screen you will see a 'Sessions' button. Click that and a list of environments should pop up. Is gnome-classic or gnome-fallback not listed there? If it is, click it, login.

I don't use Ubuntu with Unity myself (xfce) so can't check the selections you get, but I believe gnome-fallback is installed by default along with Unity on a standard install.

Beans

Sorry I also should have said I am using Ubuntu 12.04 on an Acer Extensa 5220

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    If you reboot the machine, at the login screen you will see a 'Sessions' button. Click that and a list of environments should pop up. Is gnome-classic or gnome-fallback not listed there? If it is, click it, login.

I don't use Ubuntu with Unity myself (xfce) so can't check the selections you get, but I believe gnome-fallback is installed by default along with Unity on a standard install.
    Try that. BTW, if you don't like Unity, you can use other desktops with it or just install something that uses another desktop manager, Xubuntu or Lubuntu for instance (there a heaps of choices).

Beans

Hi BB, thanks for the advice. I have seen that on another thread but got into a lot of trouble (I got rid of unity but nothing to replace it, just the desktop). Anyway, when you say the login screen do you mean the grub screen, or the window which opens in front of the desktop, asking for the password. The former does have some options but I think they start Ubuntu with earlier linux kernal options (and still use Unity). The latter has no such option on my version of Ubuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mikeavison View Post
    ... the window which opens in front of the desktop, asking for the password.
    That one. Look around and you will find 'Sessions'. Should be in there. If you uninstalled Unity what desktop environment do you get when you login then?

Beans

Hi I get this one on opening, I guess I got confused this is not a login, login must be automatic

If I logout using top right button menu I get this which I guess is what you meant me to look at

If I click the Ubuntu button I get this

I've tried all these except recovery
    KDE gives me a different desk not like Ubuntu 11.xx and having had a look at it , it is not very useful to me I think

Ubuntu and Ubuntu 2D are Unity

User defined session is where I got in trouble, no desk at all except wall paper. When you type anything it shows in a little box which opens at the bottom right of the screen - intriguing but not useful. I eventually managed to recover from this nowhere land by randomly looking for shortcut keys till I found one that logged me out. Phew.

Could any of these lead me back to Ubuntu classic desktop?

Anyway I will still want to load other software so I have to fix the catalogue problem or retrograde to 11.xx

Thanks for your help BB

Mike A

Beans

Oh , my creen grabs didn't get included, I'll try to post them later

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast