Thread: My Ubuntu 13.04 just hangs up - dont know why

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

My Ubuntu 13.04 just hangs up - dont know why

Hello friends,

My Ubuntu 13:04 just hangs up. I am unable to figure out why. I mean it happenes when I use any browser (Chrome or FF) or any applicatin where movies / related type of files are there.

Or when I use Internet.

The screen freezes and goes into the command (termal) like screen with a lot of code displayed on it. I am unable to grab a screen shot as it just freezes or scrolls by too fast for me. But ci could grab words like sys_?????? and 0xfffffff....???? and something similar.

The question marks above are not understood by me, hence I put it that way. Sorry for that.

Oh and by the way this started off lately when I found that it used to prompt me with a message that its low on memory. I cleared up some photo files but now this still persists.

Any help as to how to get this fixed?

Thank you in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: My Ubuntu 13.04 just hangs up - dont know why

Low on Memory?
    Or does it say low on disk space.

Two different things.
    Memory = RAM
    Disk space = storage capacity

If it does say low on memory, how much RAM do you have?
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    Low on Memory?
    Or does it say low on disk space.

Two different things.
    Memory = RAM
    Disk space = storage capacity

If it does say low on memory, how much RAM do you have?
    I am sorry....its my mistake. Yes, low on disk space.

Baically there are tons of photos I downloaded from my digi cam and stored it on the "File System" doucment dwhelper and download areas. I recently transferred about 6 MB of files to another disk which is accessible on Windows.

Yet, I found the screen freeze and blackout and then it was the same hexadecimal codes and all those stuff which I hardly understand. I had to reboot my system.

I am unable to upgrade my Ubuntu also because of the same reason - not enough diskspaec memory.

What must I do - I am very unsure ....

Beans

How much disk space do you have in your Ubuntu partition in total and how much space do you have left on your disk with all of your data on it?
    There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand Binary and those who don't.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Buy an 8 GB usb stick, better, buy 2 of them. Copy (somewhat less than) 8GB of your foto's to the disks, the second is a backup, and delete them from the hard disk of the computer. Alternative - burn them to CD/DVD. The point is that 6 MB is not very much. A CD has +/- 700 MB and in this case more is better.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Sweeney View Post
    How much disk space do you have in your Ubuntu partition in total and how much space do you have left on your disk with all of your data on it?
    Well, there is not much space left. However, I was able to resolve that until today when my Ubuntu crashed (while upgrading) I posted a new thread for it.

Really disappointed at the moment.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Johan De Cauwer View Post
    Buy an 8 GB usb stick, better, buy 2 of them. Copy (somewhat less than) 8GB of your foto's to the disks, the second is a backup, and delete them from the hard disk of the computer. Alternative - burn them to CD/DVD. The point is that 6 MB is not very much. A CD has +/- 700 MB and in this case more is better.
    Yes sir, did that ....also uploaded unwanted files to the skydrive. It was stable until now when my Ubuntu crashed ....very upset as I need to have it somehow running again.