Thread: Can't update/upgrade via terminal or synaptic

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Can't update/upgrade via terminal or synaptic

Hi i went to a friends place today and i was unable to upgrade/update or install anything. Here are some of the images of some of the errors i got. I just wanted to install vlc as she is not able to play .3gp files and vlc usually does play them. Then i tried to install other players and encountered the same issue of them not wanting to install. I don't understand the errors as i am still learning but my friend knows far less. sorry i forgot to write down what version of Ubuntu she is using and will not be able to get that info from her as i cant guide her to find out. She only knows how to get on the internet and nothing else.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Can't update/upgrade via terminal or synaptic

Do you understand the first message that you have posted? Have you tried to do what it suggested? How did you install VLC? Through the Software Centre or by means of a PPA? You need to check the Software Sources and disable any PPAs. Try running sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgrade again and note any error messages you get. You can also try

Code:
    sudo apt-get install -f
    as suggested. Without knowing the version it is difficult to explain how to remove PPAs because things have been moved around in the last couple of years. It does make a difference to the instructions given when Ubuntu 12.04 is compared to Ubuntu 13.10.

Regards.
    Last edited by oldos2er; November 8th, 2013 at 07:39 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Try to fix the broke packages first.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install -f
    Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Yes, remove any repositories you have added (you can do this through Software Sources which can be found under the Edit menu in the Ubuntu Software Center). Once you have done that run the codes which philinux has offered. Once you have that sorted, make sure you can run a proper update/upgrade either from the terminal (my preference) or through the GUI.

Finally, have a look at this guide for installing multimedia functionality (it needs updating since Medibuntu is gone, but ask and we should be able to assist).

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683
    "We're all in this together, kid." --H. Tuttle (a.k.a. H. Buttle)
    "Maybe it's a layer 8 problem." --thatguruguy
    A High-Tech Blech!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by jamesisin View Post
    Yes, remove any repositories you have added (you can do this through Software Sources which can be found under the Edit menu in the Ubuntu Software Center). Once you have done that run the codes which philinux has offered. Once you have that sorted, make sure you can run a proper update/upgrade either from the terminal (my preference) or through the GUI.

Finally, have a look at this guide for installing multimedia functionality (it needs updating since Medibuntu is gone, but ask and we should be able to assist).

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683
    Software Sources can also be found in synaptic, or update manager in precise(under settings) or by using the command
    Code:
    software-properties-gtk
    Which ever way floats your boat.

In later versions of Ubuntu, the software sources are in "Software and Updates".
    +1, or 2 to running the install -f command.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful