Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO Ridiculously easy home file sharing with FTP and Zeroconf

Beans

Re: HOWTO Ridiculously easy home file sharing with FTP and Zeroconf

So how do I go about connecting from a Mac remotely? How do I find out the settings of the ftp server?
    -[Discipline] - Macbook Pro 5,3 - Intel Core2Duo 2.66Ghz, 4Gb RAM, Nvidia 9400M + 9600GT, 320Gb HDD, Mac OSX 10.7.1 Lion
    -Windows free since May 2007.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I finished all of these steps but where and how do I select a folder that I want to share via FTP? And how do I find out my FTP address? I made a FTP server on windows XP using FileZilla and in that for my FTP address I mapped my IP address to a domain name using DnyDNS. Would I have to do the same in Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by aceplayer97 View Post
    I finished all of these steps but where and how do I select a folder that I want to share via FTP? And how do I find out my FTP address? I made a FTP server on windows XP using FileZilla and in that for my FTP address I mapped my IP address to a domain name using DnyDNS. Would I have to do the same in Ubuntu?
    This method is designed for LAN use only. It is not safe for use over the Internet. If you want to access FTP from remote, you're better off with an encrypted protocol like SSH or VPN.

This method shares Ubuntu's entire home directory by default. You'll have to look at /etc/vsftpd.conf to change that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    This method is designed for LAN use only. It is not safe for use over the Internet. If you want to access FTP from remote, you're better off with an encrypted protocol like SSH or VPN.

This method shares Ubuntu's entire home directory by default. You'll have to look at /etc/vsftpd.conf to change that.
    Oh okay. Do you any good guides for SSH?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by aceplayer97 View Post
    Oh okay. Do you any good guides for SSH?
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SS...iguringTesting

And if you will be forwarding ssh from the unfiltered Internet, you should configure ssh for encrypted key authentication: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SSH/OpenSSH/Keys and disable password auth: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SS...authentication.

The above are STRONG suggestions for an ssh server. If you have a good pasword, you might be okay with default settings, but I would advise against it. There are a lot of exploits out there for ssh servers, so pay attention and do it right. If you don't understand or need help, just ask. Make sure you have everything set up correctly and securely before you decide to start forwarding Internet traffic to your ssh server.
    Last edited by dmizer; January 1st, 2010 at 04:49 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

OK - I am running two Ubuntu boxes - one under 9.10 and one under 9.04 (was too lazy to upgrade that last one)

Ran the tutorial on both as shown. Works awesome on the 9.04 box - I can see all files on the 9.10 machine and read/write

Does not work on the 9.10 box keep getting a time out and server not recognized.

Pretty much tried everything I have seen on this thread - any suggestions?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by 99_rover View Post
    OK - I am running two Ubuntu boxes - one under 9.10 and one under 9.04 (was too lazy to upgrade that last one)

Ran the tutorial on both as shown. Works awesome on the 9.04 box - I can see all files on the 9.10 machine and read/write

Does not work on the 9.10 box keep getting a time out and server not recognized.

Pretty much tried everything I have seen on this thread - any suggestions?
    If it's just between two Ubuntu boxes, use either NFS (4th link in my sig) or you can try sshfs: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SSHFS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    If it's just between two Ubuntu boxes, use either NFS (4th link in my sig) or you can try sshfs: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SSHFS
    I wanted the ability to use other units if needed and it sounded as though this method was ideal. Like I said it worked perfectly on the 9.04 box and would read the Karmic box fine. But would not work going the other way. Can you think of a reason?

It feels as though I am either not doing something or have done something dumb. Would rather not mix a bunch of protocols together if I can help it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hello Dyssident,

I can see that this thread's getting pretty old but thought I'd have a go anyway: I have two computers running Ubuntu (Jaunty and Karmic), connecting to the web via a Linksys router. I followed your excellent tutorial to the letter; then again, just to double check; still no icon on either desktop and no network connection (other than 'Windows Network') under Places/Network or under Places/Connect to Server.

I'm pretty good at troubleshooting my computers as a rule but somehow always end up at a total loss with any attempt at home networking. I had hoped that this angle would be the exception but alas...

By the way, I've found that the IP Address on both computers is the same--that of the router. Could this be the problem or part of it?

I've tried disabling IPBlock (which I run routinely) and UFW (I don't use Firestarter) but to no avail. Can you (or anyone) suggest any troubleshooting approach?

Thanks in advance.
    Dell Optiplex GX745
    Intel Core 2 Duo 6400 2.13 Ghz
    2GB RAM
    Linux User 498777 - Ubuntu User 29378

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

hello everyone,

i am also having issues. i have a wired gnome desktop (ibex) and a wireless netbook LXDE desktop (9.10 karmic koala) connected to a linksys router.

both computers are able to ping each other successfully but that's as far as i've got so far.

AVAHI on the netbook says this:

Service Type: _ftp._tcp
    Service Name: FTP file sharing
    Domain Name: local
    Interface: eth1 IPv4
    Address: my-laptop.local/192.168.10.102:21
    TXT Data: empty
    on my gnome ibex desktop [under places] i am able to open a dialog box and choose ftp with login but i can't seem to figure out the correct info to put in the boxes despite reading reading through the various suggestions in the thread.

also, my problem is similar to the one mentioned just above (ipblock and firestarter are installed on the desktop; the netbook just has UFW firewall at this point)

please help and many thx in advance i look forward to making this work

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast