Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO Ridiculously easy home file sharing with FTP and Zeroconf

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Lightbulb Re: HOWTO Ridiculously easy home file sharing with FTP and Zeroconf

Thank you.

I didn't know that I have to open firestarter to allow the service, take like half a day to figure it out . Anyway, it work now

Beans

Re: HOWTO Ridiculously easy home file sharing with FTP and Zeroconf

Quote Originally Posted by taisao View Post
    Thank you.

I didn't know that I have to open firestarter to allow the service, take like half a day to figure it out . Anyway, it work now
    What's firestarter?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

firestarter is a graphical program that can be used to control the firewall installed with ubuntu (iptables) .

1. open firestarter with Run Command (pressing "Alt+F2")
    2. type in firestarter
    3. provide superuser password if asked
    4. from firestarter, go to policy tab
    5. to allow service right click, chose ftp and add rule

that's how I fix my problem, but it's not the same as yours, I'm just trying to share files between computers at home
    Last edited by taisao; February 24th, 2009 at 01:55 AM.

Beans

So I got this working super fast between my two ubuntu machines (8.4 and 8.10) thank you so much. I floundered on makieng it work w/ windows, but that was partly because I didn't really care and ended out wiping my M$ partition anyways.
    Here is my big question. Can I set up multiple logins? I have two computers, Computer A and Computer B. A is the workhorse, B is generally used for storage or when A is in use by someone else. Multiple users on both machines. I want to be able to sit behind A and login w/ a username and password and arrive in the / directory, however when someone else w/ a username/PW on B logs in, from A, they land in their home directory. Can that be done?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi,
    first thanks for your tutorial.
    I think i've set up everything correctly and i can access my files, however i can't see any files or directories (there all invisible), i can only access them if i enter their full path, i.e. to for instance open ~\Documenten\calculus.pdf i need to enter it's full path.

so i guess i've got some screwed up permissions somewhere, but where...

thanks,

---edit----
    mmm, firefox and nautilus are showing all my files invisible, but winXP explorer.exe is actually working WTF

--edit2---
    just repaired itself, didn't even had to hit it
    Last edited by NESFreak; March 17th, 2009 at 10:50 PM.

Beans

Great guide - google brings me back here about once a year

I'm having a problem with the Avahi publishing part. Server is running Kubuntu 9.04, client is Ubuntu 9.04.

I can connect to the server by explicit IP address (Places->Connect to Server->FTP With Login).

But, I can't get the server to show up in Places->Network.

avahi-discover only finds one service, of type '_workstation._tcp', even if I run it locally on the server - so my guess is that the service is not being published correctly ... what did I miss?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

any changes to this guide due to 9.10?

Beans

Well it worked for three days then stopped just like samba does. When I say it worked I mean I had to use "Connect to server" there was no list of ftp networks as suggested there would be.
    While it was working I could only access the home directory on the remote not all the others and other drives I used to via samba.

I now get "Could not display ftp://me@mypc.local nautilus cannot handle ftp locations"

I have checked that vsftpd is running though it says "inet_csk_wait_for_connect"
    Four avahi procs are running, system monitor says:
    avahi-autoipd: [eth0] bound and an IP address
    avahi-autoipd: [eth0] callout dispatcher do_poll.
    avahi-deamon:chroot helper
    avahi-deamon:running[mylaptop.local]
    Now eth0 is my lan connection (disconnected) while I am actually using my wireless connection on eth1.
    If I plug the lan [eth0] in as well then I get "Could not display ftp://me@mypc.local. Because the host could not be found." BUT the two avahi-autopid procs have diappeared from the list.
    Unless it is simple to fix I see no advantage over samba at all.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by rpaco View Post
    Well it worked for three days then stopped just like samba does. When I say it worked I mean I had to use "Connect to server" there was no list of ftp networks as suggested there would be.
    While it was working I could only access the home directory on the remote not all the others and other drives I used to via samba.

I now get "Could not display ftp://me@mypc.local nautilus cannot handle ftp locations"

I have checked that vsftpd is running though it says "inet_csk_wait_for_connect"
    Four avahi procs are running, system monitor says:
    avahi-autoipd: [eth0] bound and an IP address
    avahi-autoipd: [eth0] callout dispatcher do_poll.
    avahi-deamon:chroot helper
    avahi-deamon:running[mylaptop.local]
    Now eth0 is my lan connection (disconnected) while I am actually using my wireless connection on eth1.
    If I plug the lan [eth0] in as well then I get "Could not display ftp://me@mypc.local. Because the host could not be found." BUT the two avahi-autopid procs have diappeared from the list.
    Unless it is simple to fix I see no advantage over samba at all.
    ya same here after upgrade

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Nice!! I couldn't wish for more right now. it's easy to set up and it is neatly integrated in my regular file management with Nautilus. For ages I've been moving/syncing files around between my laptop to my workstation and now all I do is hook up the laptop to the network and I can just work with a single set of files. Whoeps, I get an idea; I could even tell the Claws mail on my workstation to work with the files on my laptop

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast