Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO Ridiculously easy home file sharing with FTP and Zeroconf

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Question Re: HOWTO Ridiculously easy home file sharing with FTP and Zeroconf

Hi, trying to set up an FTP server such that I can share my pics with my family. I could e-mail them but they are of high quality and cumbersome to send since I would like to send more than 5 pics each time (my mailbox can't handle the size). I am running Ubuntu Feisty and my Mom is using Windows Vista. What do each of us need to do in order for this to happen. Meaning: What do I have to set up and configure? What do I need to give my Mom in order to connect? Simple enough but am complete noob on doing things such as this and I have absolutely no knowledge of Vista (ewww!). I have tried to set up Samba, FTP before but can't seem to make things work as they should. Any help would be greatly appreciated. You may reach me at rjbanfield@ns.sympatico.ca with your answer as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: HOWTO Ridiculously easy home file sharing with FTP and Zeroconf

Been struggling with networking for weeks, and now I'm not only able to share files via FTP but also remotely login (currently further testing the latter). Thanks.
    Registered Ubuntu user #4019 Registered Linux user #434490
    Personal Blog completely unrelated to Linux

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by rcatman View Post
    Works perfect on feisty. I followed each step exactly.

I have a iMac G5 in another room and an ubuntu fiesty fawn computer connected to the internet through a linksys router. On the macosx computer I went into finder and typed ftp://ip.of.ubuntu.computer.on.network and connected, it worked great! I logged in using my username and my home directory popped up.

Although its read only I'm going to work out how to upload files aswell. Because after all, file-sharing is both ways!

Thanks for the great tutorial!
    This tutorial worked for me as well, including the Rendezvous, but similarly I'm getting read-only access. Any luck figuring out how to get write as well?

edit -- actually it's just Finder that refuses to write: other FTP progs have no problem. Weird.
    Last edited by stewacide; June 24th, 2007 at 05:41 AM.

Beans

Ok, I've done all of the steps, but I still can't connect to my other computer.

On my desktop, I'm emones-homePC
    On my laptop, I'm emones-laptop

I want to connect TO my desktop FROM my laptop. What information do I enter, and where?

Beans

Thanks for the really clear guide. I followed all of the instructions correctly (I think) but I am still unable to connect to my Ubuntu share from my OSX machine. I have confirmed that my Ubuntu box and my OSX box are on the same subnet and, here's the kicker, I can get them to connect just fine via their respective IP addresses for using Synergy (mouse/keyboard sharing over TCP/IP). So maybe I'm just being stupid here (I am rather new to both OSes).

Suppose, for example, the network name of my Ubuntu box is "MyUbuntuBox".

Then, in the finder dialogue that you describe your guide I should literally type "ftp://MyUbuntuBox.local" and then hit connect? If that's not right, what should I do instead? And if it is right, any idea why it doesn't work for me?

Beans

Ok, I solved the problem. It turns out that I needed to turn on the FTP proxy (and, in particular, the "use passive FTP mode" option) on my Mac. I can now access my Ubuntu shares from my Mac, and vice versa--almost. I say almost because now I have another question: Can I use this technique to access shares on mounted volumes as well? I've got an NTFS partition (mounted at /media/sda2) that has some shares on it that I'd like to access, but I can't see how to make this work. Thanks for the help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

It worked great, but apparantly I have two FTP connections? FTP Share 1 and FTP Share 2. Share 1 takes me to the share folder. Share 2 does nothing, and I can't delete it (even as root).
    "I thought what I'd do was I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes"
    Desktop: Ubuntu 9.10, Windows XP
    Laptop: Ubuntu 9.10, Windows Vista (soon to be replaced by Windows 7)
    n800: Diablo/Maemo 4 (one day Mer..)

Beans

thanks alot for the guide man, i was having alot of trouble getting my ubuntu files to fedora, not much trouble the other way though, but this guide helped alot

thanks alot

is this thread a sticky? if not it should be
    Last edited by Fittersman; August 23rd, 2007 at 08:58 AM.
    HP Pavilion DV3-2150US
    Intel T6500 | 13.3IN WXGA | Intel GMA 4500MHD | 4GB RAM | 60GB OCZ Summit SSD

Beans

Has there been any success on gettin read/write access from a mac?
    I really like this method but I can't edit any files. Please help.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

dyssident,
    Finally, after posting, prowling, head-banging, and just plain --- almost -- giving up, I now have 2 of my 3 Ubuntu machines file sharing! I finished up the 2nd. one just a few minutes ago and am now going to bed. Tomorrow, I will tackle no. 3, and then be one very happy gNu-Bee!!

Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!
    gottatrieit

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast