Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: unity 8 available for testing.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Works nicely (as is WebBrowser, old application) in Saucy...
    Still on SS due to unavailibility of Mesa 10 and such in TT...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

A few minutes ago I installed through the software centre and I could not find anything in the dash to launch it so I tried unity 8 in the terminal and I got: compiz (core) - Error: Failure to load plugin 8. I never got Unity 8 loading in saucy either.

Update: When we install unity 8 shell through software centre we get unity8; unity8-fake-env; unity8-private; unity8-autopilot; libunity-core-6.0.8. That last package may have already been present. So, all the necessary stiff should be there (I think)

Now, it gets interesting for I now have two network manager icons. The usual one and a slim menu version with on/off sliders for wired and wireless connections. I also notice in the Dash>Applications two icons for System Settings. The usual System Settings and another one that is clearly a mobile version. At it "home" page it has, among other things, "About this phone." If we are moving through the options will find find a back buttom by clicking just above the bottom border and sliding upwards.

If we keep the Dash at Dash Home and filter by Applications then we see a load of what I think are Ubuntu mobile apps. I am not sure if they are installable.

Update 2: First step to installing these mobile apps is to login to our Ubuntu One account with the Touch System Settings. Second step is to try to install something. And it failed, I think due to trusty not understanding click packages.

Anyway, it seems that Dash>Applications is where our desktop applications are to be found. And Dash>fliter by applications is where the mobile platform apps are to be found for installation. I have yet to successfully install one.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; November 7th, 2013 at 04:24 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Thumbs down Re: unity 8 available for testing.

As of earlier today (Chicago Time Zone) Unity 8 is now being Pushed Out Through Trusty-Universe, so I guess we are all Testing Unity 8 whether we want to or NOT! The Original Update Broke my System Packages! Had to do a complete Reinstall of Saucy then Re-Upgrade to Trusty!
    Dell Inspiron 15 3521 Laptop with Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.
    Dell Inspiron 400 HD Desktop with a 120 GB Crucial SSD and Lubuntu 14.04.

Beans
    Distro

Thumbs down Re: unity 8 available for testing.

To the person who posted above me (sorry but I don't know how to spell your user name and I am typing this in on a Cell Phone), Unity 8 just started getting pushed through Trusty-Universe around 5:00 - 6:00 A.M Chicago Time Earlier Today. The update was so complex that it Broke my Trusty Packages!
    Last edited by kevpan8152; November 8th, 2013 at 05:21 AM. Reason: Added the word Earlier next to Today.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Expand and it works better... (10 screenshots)

Screenshot from 2013-11-08 10:50:34 by ringi_is, on Flickr

Screenshot from 2013-11-08 12:28:13 by ringi_is, on Flickr
    Last edited by xc3RnbFO8P; November 8th, 2013 at 12:31 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kevpan8152 View Post
    As of earlier today (Chicago Time Zone) Unity 8 is now being Pushed Out Through Trusty-Universe, so I guess we are all Testing Unity 8 whether we want to or NOT! The Original Update Broke my System Packages! Had to do a complete Reinstall of Saucy then Re-Upgrade to Trusty!
    Purely optional at this point & hopefully should remain so in 14.04

Chanath is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans

In my TT, I had installed Gnome shell too, so I could move from Unity to Gnome, and enjoy both of them. I had installed Unity8, and this shell is working on both, over Unity and Gnome. They way it workd is quite interesting and definitely better than Android. I wish there would be uPads in the future, and I'm sure such an uPad would give a very good fight to iPad.

When Unity8 comes, it would be my default DE.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    Purely optional at this point & hopefully should remain so in 14.04
    Excuse me but when I went to Software Center in Regular 64 Bit Ubuntu (NOT Gnome Ubuntu) it said that I already had the latest version of Unity! Just FYI.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast