Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Linux Desktop In The Enterprise: Ubuntu Vs. Windows

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Linux Desktop In The Enterprise: Ubuntu Vs. Windows

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    I'm always amused by the lack of attention to training costs in arguments about switching to Linux. Organizations can leverage their employees' existing experience with Windows; putting people in front of a Linux desktop is going to require retraining.
    Boy, is that true. In my experience, too, employees hate the retraining. Software platform changes are seldom driven from the bottom up. They're usually driven by management for a variety of reasons, reasons that are often poorly explained to employees. Many employees see this as imposed change they do not want and do not need. Being compelled to go to training to learn a different way to do what they're already doing strikes them as a waste of time.

Once an organization has sunk money into a software platform, though, they'll lack an incentive to move to a new platform unless that new platform delivers dollar-and-cents benefits that exceed the cost of the transition. When Linux and FOSS target themselves at being as functional as Windows or mimicing Windows (think LibreOffice), they fall short of that mark. Why spend money and endure a lot of hassle to switch to a platform that is "as good as" Windows when you already have Windows?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

i think they saved 40 % was it in Munich on the move to FOSS only. i believe there is also EU directive - so if more governemnts would move to FOSS companies might see the benefits and move as well.

if oyu ask me the only training cost is for admins. since users are more interested in programs than OS. and if you already use FOSS programs... here Firefox has been on top in browsers for a number of years ( i think since version 2 or 3). which means the users actually use different browser at home than we have to use in company and in gov. services.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

How did they save money in Munich? By reducing existing costs? (if so,how?) Or, by avoiding the cost of buying more/new Windows seats?

Browsers and products like LibreOffice can satisfy organizations with simple and generic office workflows. They can save money if that organization would otherwise need to buy Windows licenses.

But, if they have more than generic requirements, they are very likely using software developed to support their niche market. The FOSS-ness of FOSS and Linux isn't going to convince them to change if Windows is the only platform that runs the software their business depends on.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12