Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading from Kubuntu 7.10 to 8.04 page might contain error

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Upgrading from Kubuntu 7.10 to 8.04 page might contain error

there is not enough RAM for Kubuntu (as others already said) but there are a few linux distributons (some Ubuntu based) that will work on your mashcine. i have something similar with slightly weaker CPU.

Some good and relatively easy options that are Ubuntu based are:
    Lubuntu
    LXLE
    Bodhi Linux
    Peppermint OS
    Puppy Linux Precise (though not really ubuntu based, the precise version is made to use Ubuntu repositoies).

Chrunchbang - this one is Debain ("ubutnu's father") based but is still relatively easy to install. It runs a nice script after basic install so oyu can just add what you want and say no to the rest.

there are a few more dedicated to older hardware:
    Slitaz Linux
    Tiny Core linux
    DSL (damn small linux) - this one evenuses very old kernel

i would start with lubuntu but you won't be able to use graphics install. so just use mini.iso and then add lubuntu desktop package to it.

on a similar setup to yours i use Chrunchbang (but an older version that came with xfce). it takes about 80 MB ram on boot. i can write, watch you tube videos, play a few older games... nothing much. it acts as a netbook. it's fast enough for what it does.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans

224MB RAM is enough for the One Button Installer, that you might try, if you like to test what is possible with this computer. But if you want a computer that can manage modern web pages with reasonable speed, use the tips by mörgæs in post #7.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Hi I have an old laptop that wont work with Ubuntu 12.4 but it will run just fine with puppy precise or macpup both of these use ubuntu precise repositories. macpup is real nice check it out at distrowatch.com.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Thanks for the info. I am thinking of one last try before giving up. I am checking Lubuntu or Macpup.

For Lubuntu install from mini.iso will it need wired connection? I have a wireless USB stick. Will it be able to detect the internet and install lubuntu desktop package?
    Last edited by amitst; November 8th, 2013 at 05:59 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by amitst View Post
    For Lubuntu install from mini.iso will it need wired connection? I have a wireless USB stick. Will it be able to detect the internet and install lubuntu desktop package?
    Yes the mini.iso will need internet, and it might be difficult to get a WIFI device to work. Such devices vary a lot, some work out of the box (Lubuntu finds and installs a suitable driver) some do not work at all with linux, and it is possible to install a linux driver for some WIFI devices (more or less manually).

If that is a problem, try the One Button Installer, which needs no internet during the installation. It works with 128 MB RAM. It might also work with the Lubuntu alternate iso file (that needs less RAM than the Lubuntu desktop iso file).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

go with One button installer then if you don't have wired connection.

additionally just as info, the old KDE 3 is available as Trinity desktop. not sure how well it works. i know there is a distro that support it.

also i remembered there is another nice distro for older mashicnes called AntiX (it's debian based but with backports, so you get some more modern programes and drivers out of the box). it uses IceWM and looks a bit like windows 98 or 95. it can be modified easilly to make it look a bit better. anyway it's very low on resurces.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans
    Distro

I am going to try Macpup first as I have downloaded the ISO. I will burn a DVD with it. My wireless connection is Tata Photon+. Kubuntu was able to detect it. So I hope any recent distro should recognize it as well.

In case you still feel one button installer is the way to go (and if Macpup live CD install will fail). Let me know.

Beans
    Distro

Also note that I am unable to boot through the USB. I read that the one button installer gives difficulties using CD/DVD boot.

Beans

The detection of hardware and selection of drivers is done by the kernel, which is the same in all Ubuntu flavours of the same version, for example Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Ubuntu, Xubuntu 13.10 or Kubuntu, Ubuntu, Xubuntu 12.04 LTS. (Lubuntu 12.04 has no LTS and is past end of life now).

So if Kubuntu 12.04 detects your wifi, you can also use Ubuntu and Xubuntu, and if Kubuntu 13.10 detects your wifi, you can also use Lubuntu, Ubuntu and Xubuntu (of the same version). But if Kubuntu 7.10 detects it, there is no guarantee, that 12.04 LTS or 13.10 will detect it.

Anyway, if you have an internet connection with decent speed (and price per downloaded MB), I suggest that you download several iso files and also the image file and some tarballs for the One Button Installer. Then you can test a lot of them and finally find what is the best alternative for you.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by amitst View Post
    Also note that I am unable to boot through the USB. I read that the one button installer gives difficulties using CD/DVD boot.
    In such cases booting via Plop is an alternative, that I have tested with my oldest hardware.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast