Thread: backup re-install question

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Lightbulb backup re-install question

i have a laptop with only linux installed and use redo backup. have no problems. i will be purchasing a new laptop soon and am sure it will come preinstalled with win8. i am going to delete and install my linux using the redo. do i first have to reformat to ext4. or since i have the redo backup can i just install. or would it be better to download linux burn a cd and install and then update my new laptop with my most current redo backup. tks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: backup re-install question

You cannot use redo backup unless your current install is UEFI with gpt partitioning. Do not know details of redo backup, but do you have a separate /home? Or can you extract from the backup just /home?

With a new UEFI system pre-installed with UEFI and secure boot, the install is a bit more complicated and if a higher end laptop that is an Ultraboot with the small SSD then that adds even more things to work thru.

A few have totally erased Windows 8 and had system work. But some are hard coded to only boot the Windows efi file and work arounds have to be done to make those boot grub2's secure boot shim file. A few have also just given up on UEFI and converted it to BIOS/CSM boot like your old computer. Most work ok in that mode, but in the future they may not. UEFI has a lot of updates and BIOS may not have all the new features. Suggest dual booting before erasing Windows and a full backup of Windows as installed just in case.

See links in my signature for lots of info on UEFI install.

I like the idea one user posted. He buys a system with just a hard drive and removes hard drive with Windows and installs a SSD to install with Ubuntu. Then later if he wants to sell system, he has a new (but not updated) version of Windows on the hard drive that he puts back in.
    Last edited by oldfred; November 5th, 2013 at 11:59 PM.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Lightbulb Re: backup re-install question

has anyone ever tried what i can to do. let me know and if it worked for you.tks