Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A learning question for testing out bleeding edge

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

A learning question for testing out bleeding edge

I'm look for an easy way to test OS, video drivers, mythtv, etc.... My thought is to get the basic OS and any other initial software working....then copy all that to another partition and somehow do something to grub to allow it to boot. The reason for this...I could change the drivers or bleading edge software, some of which are from git, and if it gets borked then I can just copy over that partition with the original partition and start over.
    One of the reasons for doing this....some older distro's can take over an hour to install and update...and then you start setting it up

I know this isn't a Ubuntu+1 question but I thought maybe someone is doing what I'm inquirying about.
    Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: A learning question for testing out bleeding edge

An option would be to use a virtual machine instead. This would allow snapshots to take your system back to a previous state with just some mouse clicks.

I find that VirtualBox, downloaded from the vBox site to work well for me. It runs ok on a dual core box with at least 2G of ram, more ram is better.

https://www.virtualbox.org/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Moved to General Help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

It's pretty easy to create multiboot systems with various iterations of Linux (much easier than creating a Windows and Linux dual boot system). One important thing to remember is you'll need to run update-grub after each installation or version upgrade. (You can fix that if you forget, so that's not even much of a show-stopper.)
    "We're all in this together, kid." --H. Tuttle (a.k.a. H. Buttle)
    "Maybe it's a layer 8 problem." --thatguruguy
    A High-Tech Blech!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jamesisin View Post
    It's pretty easy to create multiboot systems with various iterations of Linux (much easier than creating a Windows and Linux dual boot system).
    Please give more detail so I may better understand.

One important thing to remember is you'll need to run update-grub after each installation or version upgrade. (You can fix that if you forget, so that's not even much of a show-stopper.)
    From my experience after each install update-grub is performed automatically.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

You can find dozens of tutorials and how-tos on the Web for multibooting using Linux. Google is your friend.

If you have specific questions, we'll be happy to help.
    A High-Tech Blech!

Beans
    Distro

You can find dozens of tutorials and how-tos on the Web for multibooting using Linux. Google is your friend.

If you have specific questions, we'll be happy to help.
    From wikipedia:
    Multi-booting is the act of installing multiple operating systems on a computer, and being able to choose which one to boot when starting the computer.

Is this your definition of multibooting? If so...how does this help / answer my original question?
    Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

You want to boot into the original and then into the copy. That's multibooting. You need to be able to switch between multiple boot environments. Your use of this is perhaps a bit unique, but it relies upon the same underlying structure. In your case instead of choosing between Ubuntu 12.04, Ubuntu 13.10, and Mint 14; you'll be choosing between Ubuntu 12.04 with properties X and Ubuntu 12.04 with properties Y (or whatever).
    A High-Tech Blech!

Beans
    Distro

I want to get the main focus back...
    The main point is....
    I want to copy one partition that has a known working OS over to another partition so that I can experiment with it without effecting the 1st partitions OS. This is the most important issue at this point that I would like to resolve with the best option.
    Thank

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I actually think that this is very much a Ubuntu+1 question because it relates to the question of how to set up Ubuntu+1 testing . May I tell you my way of working? I have at the moment 3 Trusty Tahr installs as well as a 13.10 and a 13.04 and a couple of the Ubuntu flavours.

we need to create at least one additional partition of about 10 - 15GB. You can do that from a live session using Gparted which will be in the Dash. Then we install a daily ISO image into that partition using the Something Else option. And there we are testing! We have tested the installer and the reboot into a working Trusty Tahr (or may be a not working Trusty Tahr). We also have a default installation of Ubuntu that we can install experimental software on such as proprietary video drivers & Linux kernels. If something breaks then we can just re-install. There is no need to clone. Just put in another installation of Ubuntu. It really does not take that long.

We can also test by simply using the software and updating every day until Trusty Tahr becomes Ubuntu 14.04. A couple of days ago an update brought in Ubuntu Web Browser, also known as, Browser. It is the browser that will be on Ubuntu Phone but it is running on Ubuntu desktop and I am trying it out. You need to learn how to install Ubuntu into separate partitions. You can get the ISO images from here

http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/m...nes/308/builds

This link will help you find your way

http://www.theorangenotebook.com/

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast